Domestic Diesel & Auto Service

Thread: Death Wobbles

SoCAPS Member

Death Wobbles

Has anyone had the death wobble problem. I have a 2006 F350 Superduty, Crew Cab, Short Bed with a Pro Comp dual Coilover 6.5 lift. Above 55 mph or so when I het a bump it goes into a crazy death wobble. I have to immediately hit the brakes and hold it straight until it subsides. I've taken it back each time I start having the problem to the guy who installed it. He tightens up the big nut on the driver side up by the frame. It causes the problem to go away for a short period of time. Does anyone have a solution for this problem???????

City
    City Of Industry
    Steering stabilizer?
    2003 Ford f250 CC LB 7.3L
    Vegistroke Kit
    Lifted 9.5" w/ 37 Toyo MTs
    JW Trans

City
    Port Orchard, WA
    Need to get rid of the stock steering stabilizer and go with a Pro Comp dual kit. This will help, but Castor adjustment is prabably the problem. Go to a good alignment shop that does big lifted 4x4s and have them check castor. Make them put it on the rack with the computer, you can't do this on the floor. Castor angle correction is the biggest thing for good and safe control when you go up on a late Superduty. Are you 4linked in the front? and is it adjustable? or you may need cams put in your front rad. arms to correct.
    '97 Dodge 3500, Club Cab, 4x4, Dually, 5.9 Cummins 12V, SMOG EXEMPT, 4" turbo back, gauges, EGR Delete. Built Auto with billet twin disk converter, TransGo shift kit, HF clutches, HD Sprag, PML Pan, AFE stage 1, 100 fuel plate, AFC full forward. 3000 GSK.

Yes, my last truck was an '06 Superduty, liked it, just too much money to own, SMOG, register, build, and maintain.

Towing Queen for: '09 Attitude 33AKSG Fithwheel Toyhauler, FX package, all options and then some, axle oversprung conversion for 5" lift, 15K GVWR

SoCAPS Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzrats View Post
    Need to get rid of the stock steering stabilizer and go with a Pro Comp dual kit. This will help, but Castor adjustment is prabably the problem. Go to a good alignment shop that does big lifted 4x4s and have them check castor. Make them put it on the rack with the computer, you can't do this on the floor. Castor angle correction is the biggest thing for good and safe control when you go up on a late Superduty. Are you 4linked in the front? and is it adjustable? or you may need cams put in your front rad. arms to correct.
    I have the Pro Comp Dual Stabilizer on there. I will try the alignment. The kit came with their pitman arms. Not sure about 4 linked?? Any recommendation on a good alignment shop?

City
    Port Orchard, WA
    I'm down in San Diego. 4 wheel Parts?, watch them real close and make them back it up. Where ever you take it get a printout of the alignment as set, for future referance.
    '97 Dodge 3500, Club Cab, 4x4, Dually, 5.9 Cummins 12V, SMOG EXEMPT, 4" turbo back, gauges, EGR Delete. Built Auto with billet twin disk converter, TransGo shift kit, HF clutches, HD Sprag, PML Pan, AFE stage 1, 100 fuel plate, AFC full forward. 3000 GSK.

Yes, my last truck was an '06 Superduty, liked it, just too much money to own, SMOG, register, build, and maintain.

Towing Queen for: '09 Attitude 33AKSG Fithwheel Toyhauler, FX package, all options and then some, axle oversprung conversion for 5" lift, 15K GVWR

City
    Poway
    Hit up ORW in Clairmont. They do all of my work, and they got rid of my death wobble. I'm running 40's. I believe it was the cam bolt.
    BrianO

City
    Barstow
    If your tires are cupped or worn funny then rotate them. Ive had the problem on other trucks if they were worn funny or almost bald then thats part of it. Stabilizers arent always a fix they are a bandaid. because i put duals on my 97 and it helped but did not cure, moved the two tires on the front that were cupped and it was gone.
    Last edited by desertwheeler; 11-17-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    08 CC SB 4x4
    HID's, N-FAB prerunner bar 3 HID's
    2.5" Icon lift w/2.5 resi shocks, 35" toyos, Aero 55 gal tank
    Mini-Maxxed, Nothin special.....

SoCAPS Member
    Quote Originally Posted by optx002 View Post
    Steering stabilizer
    That was the fix for me.

My truck is doing the same. All stock suspension. It doesn't do it all the time. I'm usually going 80 hit a bump usually while going up the entrance ramp and boom the truck feels like its coming apart. Slow down to 60 and all gone and get back up to 80 no problem. Does this sound like the same thing. I heard there was TSB on the steering stabilizer is this true.
    2005 F250/CC/4x4/Lariat Custom tune SCT by John Wood, Bassani exhaust, AirRaid CAI, Mag-Hytec trans cover. Autometer nexus gauges. Banks intercooler.

City
    Trabuco Canyon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruisnit View Post
    My truck is doing the same. All stock suspension. It doesn't do it all the time. I'm usually going 80 hit a bump usually while going up the entrance ramp and boom the truck feels like its coming apart. Slow down to 60 and all gone and get back up to 80 no problem. Does this sound like the same thing. I heard there was TSB on the steering stabilizer is this true.
    Chances are it's related to the trac bar system. If you have BFG tires that could be the cause as well.
    Adam

02 F250 cc/sb 7.3L 2wd

02 F350 sc/lb 7.3L 4wd

City
    Claremont
    i would check out the Trac bar.. an then sway bar bushing..
    http://community.webshots.com/user/socapsmikey

1997 F350 Crew Cab People ask me what i do for a living, I simply tell them ''I AM CRISIS MANAGEMENT COUNSELOR SPECIALIZING IN THE HVAC FIELD''

City
    Camarillo
    I got one of those Icon(DR) adj trac bars and it was good along with steering stabalizer...:smokin:

Thread Information