Domestic Diesel & Auto Service

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bio in newer trucks....

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Bakersfield

Bio in newer trucks....

I've heard you're not supposed to run bio in newer trucks, but haven't really seen much beyond general comment about warranty or injector size. Any specific info floatin' around?

I have a buddy who has an 06 F350 and he runs it exclusively with no issues other than its sluggish for a few minutes when it's really cold outside. He's installing a line heater. I have a 7.3, so it shouldn't be an issue from what I've heard, but any details would be cool...

City
    Calabasas
    I would like info on this as well, looking to buy a 2000 7.3 and don't have all the facts as to how the bio fuels work in the newer PSD's

City
    Big Bear City
    Here are my thoughts on this. I feel that bio can be run in any diesel. It is a viscous as pure #2 and that is what counts. But the thing that I feel the manafactures are worried about is that there is really no set national standard for this fuel so that is why they limit coverage to 5% bio. If the bio is good quality and not all milky and dirty, I have no worries on running it.
    MY TRUCKS YouTube Vids

1996 F350 XLT CREW CAB 4x4 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK, 4.10 LS rear, SMFW modified by Southbend Clutch, 4 inch straight pipe, IDM MOD BY ME, down pipe, boost and pyro gauges, personal open element air filter, ORU reverse shackle kit, Bilsteins, 305/75 Pro Comp A/T

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

City
    Calabasas
    Do you have to swap out the fuel lines like the older trucks? I know that the viton tube is the way to go in older trucks and Benzes, but have heard that with a more modern truck if you ease the vehicle onto the bio you don't have to change lines.

City
    Escondido
    the most important part of running Bio is that the fuel is high quality, clean and well made. there are a few tests for quality that should be done on every batch. it should also be well filtered and you wont have any problems in a 7.3 i cant speak for the 6.0 guys, but i have been running my own bio in two 7.3 fords with over 200,000 miles combined on 100% bio and no problems but a few dirty filters.
    01 F250 XLT c.c. s.b. 7.3, Dp tuner(8 tunes), Edge attitude monitor (for gauges) billet grill,billet badges, International bellowed uppies, home built 4" dual exhaust with 2/5" tips,muff delete, Airaid intake, 44 gal tank, trans gauge, Mag hytec diff covers and deep trans sump, John Wood trans, 6.0 cooler, billet converter, GOS headlight harness, DC 190 amp alt., 5" Deavers, 3" hangers, 37" tires w/17" welds, Fox shocks w/resiviors, EBC slotted rotors, air bags, onboard tank/compressor, Klienn Train Horn, gooseneck hitch, runnin' home made bio-diesel, 235,000 mi. & still strokin strong!!

2006 -4 seat Chenowth Explorer,home built, powered by an Esslinger 2.3 turbo Ford motor, T3/T4 @20psi =family fun!!

City
    Calabasas
    thanks!

SoCAPS Member
    I had a 2002 F-250 that i was running home made bio in. I had it up to 100% at times with no problems. I would advise anyone switching to bio to change fuel and water seperator filters every 2000 miles for the first 10000. If you have miles on your truck when you switch bio will loosen deposits in tank,lines and anywhere else it can. As far as changing lines I believe that it is for pre 94 vehicles but double check to be sure. i changed nothing on my truck and it ran great. Less noise and more money in my pocket. I used a Fuelmeister II for my fuel making and had my cost down to 75-78 cents a gallon. I now have a 2008 F-450 and am slowly working up the amount of bio I run in it. I talked to the guys from Ford at the meet and he said that it should be fine.Ford was worried about viscosity and plugging the new injectors. I explained how my system works and that my end product is cleaner and clearer than pump diesel.He suggested starting slow and working up from there.I have a connection at a local dealer that checks for codes once a month for me. So far I am up to 15% bio with no codes or issues coming up. If you guys have any questions about making bio at home or running it feel free to ask.I will answer as best I can from my experience

Talking 2003 6.0

Ive got a 2003 6.0 and my dad has a 1999 7.3 we both run bio with no problems but the filters for sure every 2000 miles for the first 10000 is a good guild line for trucks with miles on them.
    BRANDON SILVESTER
    2003 F-250 XLT CREW CAB 6.0PSD 4X4, WHITE EXT BLACK ON GRAY INT, 8.5" LIFT W/PROCOMP MX-6 ADJUSTIBLE SHOCKS, 17" CENTERLINE RIMS, 37" PROCOMP EXTREME ALL TERRAIN TIRES, TURBO WORK, EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE PROGRAMMER(HOT UNLOCKED), STAGE 2 FUEL SYSTEM, BANKS INJECTORS, ARP HEAD STUDS, EGR BLOCKER PLATE, 5" TURBO BACK EXHAUST, FULL SOUND SYSTEM, NAVIGATION, HID HEADLIGHTS, TINTED WINDOWS, AND RUNNING ON B-10 BIO DIESEL W/ADDITIVES AND CENTENE BOOSTER, CAUSE STOCK SUCKS!!!!!!

City
    Calabasas
    that is great info thanks. 2008 I would like to pick your brain, we just bought a processor and want to talk with an experienced home brewer about the ins and outs of homebrew.

SoCAPS Member
    Sure usedcarr fire away.

City
    Calabasas
    Are you using recycled oil or new oil? How long does it take you not counting the oil collection and filtering? I was wondering about once you get the process going, how long does it take. Any tips on what NOT to do to prevent ruining my fuel system. What do you do with the glycerin left over from processing? Any chance we could come check your system out while you are processing?

I could go on for a while. Kind of a NOOB here. I just got my truck last week. My partner in the processor has been doing WVO for a while in his Dodge Cummins, but he wants to get his wife a Jetta and wants her to be able to just fuel up.

SoCAPS Member
    I am using used veggie oil from local restaurants. as far as hands on time, I usually spend an hour or less setting up a batch. Between tetride test and measuring out lye,metanol amounts. As far as tips. Take your time. Make sure you do a tetride test every time you make a batch. Even from same drum of oil. I water wash all my fuel 2 times but I would definatly recommend doing it once.Gets the last of inpurities out.The waste water goes down the drain in garage. Glyceryn:) I am lucky to have a local woman that uses it to make soap that she sells at local craft fairs. She gives my wife a few bars evrytime I take her more glyceryn. I have heard you can use it as a fertilizer too but I am not sure on that. I thought about WVO systems for my 2002. But the cons outwayed the pros for me.

City
    Calabasas
    thanks!

City
    Simi Valley
    What about the Meth for thr procesing? Is there a smell? I live in Simi also but I worry the smell will attract the Police. Simi being a meth (drug) capital.

Where do you buy the meth, and lye and how much does it run?

Been thinking my time is worth less then the cost of diesel.
    2011 Lariat F-350 Stock for now

City
    Reseda
    :appl: Good topic learning slowly...:waytogo:
    - F350 4x4 auto 7.3 PSD, LB, CC, Silver, yr 2000,
    - Weekend Warrior FSW2800 gel coat.
    [name] - John Eagle.
    - GARRET GTP38R BB TURBO.
    - 6.0 Spearco Intercooler.
    - TERMINATOR twin pumps.
    - D.I. FUEL system.
    - D.P. 10 postion, Jody live, Custom Tune @ J.W's.
    - AFE (stage 2) Intake. W/Pre Filter.
    - AFE 4/5" T/B Exhaust.
    - BANKS, Power Elbow & D/PIPE.

- John Wood 4R100 Transmission. "Tow Master".
    - O'size Oil Cooler, new 6.0 Tourqe/Converter, Trans lock up Switch.
    - MAG-HYTEK Transmission Pan = extra 8 quarts of Oil.
    - MAG-HYTEK DIFF COVERS = 2 ex quarts.
    - PILLAR GAUGES x4.. Trans oil.. W'Temp.. Boost.. EGT's.
    - NITTO TERRA Grappler (315-75 r16's).
    - Leveling kit, small lift.

Thread Information