Domestic Diesel & Auto Service

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soot in the overflow tank? Is this possible?

Soot in the overflow tank? Is this possible?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this mystery. Over the holiday weekend I did a motorcycle trackday at Willow Springs here in So Cal. So I was prepping the truck to tow the toyhauler, increasing tire pressure and checking fluids, etc. and I noticed a dark shadow inside the radiator overflow tank. The truck has a tendency to blow a little coolant now and then but nothing too crazy. So I decide to reach my finger in the tank and see what this darkness is and it feels sooty, or even a better description...resiny.
    Is this due to overboosting and slightly blown headgaskets or what?
    I have a Banks 6gun+SL, and occasionally get on the throttle pretty good.
    I have no fluid leaking on the block, or in the driveway, nada nowhere.
    So Im wondering if anyone has ever heard of this phenomenon before?
    Thanks much in advance.
    Rob
    2006 F350 XtraCab SB 4x4, SCT X3 by Innovative, Autometer quad pod w/ EGT, boost, coolant and trans temps, straight 4" TB, Banks TechniCooler, ARP studs, AFE Stg. 2 Dry-S, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Optimas, BFG A/T's, zoodad-ed too.

9.176@72.81mph 1.921 60ft. 0.572 RT and that was with blown headgaskets :)

If your oil cooler is bad, oil can get into your coolant bottle. I would have it looked at asap. Mine just did the same thing.
    Big thanks to Bud and Matt for getting me back on the road!
    The diesel shop
    23854 Via Fabricante
    Mission Viejo, Ca. 92691
    949 297 8477

City
    Diamond Bar
    It's very possible the head gasket(s) blew. Have you noticed the fan kicking on more frequently when towing? Does the coolant level drop in the Degauss bottle w/o puking? If so, then it's head gasket time.

If the oil cooler gets blocked with crud then the EGR cooler will overheat and fail, more likely sooner than later.

A coolant filter is an excellent addition to the 6.0 to keep the oil cooler passages from getting crudded up and blocked.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324
    05 F-350 Lariat 4X4 6.0 TorqShift

What Id like to do is dro it off at a mod friendly dealer, who wont mind my
    6 gun still installed, and have the dealer warranty all items that fall under it, and then either have the dealer install studs or take it over to DieselTech and have their crew make my truck all happy again.
    I have not noticed that the fan is on more often, and I towed 400 miles this weekend. No issues performance-wise.
    Anyone have a mod firendly dealer in mind. Closer to San Diego the better, but if it meant taking a day off work to head up to Tuttle, then so be it.
    I have a few $$$ saved up for the studs, but was hoping to not have to do them this soon.
    Thanks for the help. Any other ideas/opinions are greatly appreciated.
    Rob
    2006 F350 XtraCab SB 4x4, SCT X3 by Innovative, Autometer quad pod w/ EGT, boost, coolant and trans temps, straight 4" TB, Banks TechniCooler, ARP studs, AFE Stg. 2 Dry-S, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Optimas, BFG A/T's, zoodad-ed too.

City
    Diamond Bar
    I doubt even a mod-friendly Ford Service Department would want to see the Banks system or the non-factory intake on your engine. If you want to have any engine work done under the Ford warranty then you should remove the Banks and reinstall the factory intake prior to taking it in for service. PM me if you have questions.
    05 F-350 Lariat 4X4 6.0 TorqShift

Try Tuttle Click in Lake Forest, Talk to Dan smith, about the studs, and the banks. They believe in the studs. I know you have to at least have your cat on. If you want I can call him, and ask him.
    The diesel shop
    23854 Via Fabricante
    Mission Viejo, Ca. 92691
    949 297 8477

The cat is and always will be on. No muffler though because very few things on earth sound as awesome as a V8.
    Thanks for the direction on Tuttle Click.

Re: Warranty & Banks/Intakes/Exhaust

Hi,
    Just thought I'd mention that I have had the Banks Power system on my truck, continuous for over two years now. I still have the Cat in place, and a complete stainless MBRP 4" exhaust. I have a Volant cold air intake also in place for more than 1 year now. I have had my truck in to Antelope Valley Ford (Fleet Service) dept three times. Once for my 50K service and once for squeaky brakes, once for failed Injector O-Rings. That last one was actual warranty work. It cost me $100.00 deductible only. I paid nothing for any other service to my truck. No one asked me about my Banks Stuff and I didn't tell either. I do have the Premium Warranty though, so maybe that's why.

I mentioned to the tech/mgr that I was interested in Honed & Balanced injectors. He was non-committal on the subject and sort of implied they would not like to see that, but that they can't tell by just by looking at the injectors only. I know this dealer is far away from you, but the point here is that "good ones" are out there. It mainly seems to depend on your individual experience. I also just took it in, never said anything about the Banks equipment, but I did take the PDA off the dash mount, mostly as an after thought. Hans, aka Slick :)
    2005 F250 6.0: 4" MBRP stainless cat back, Mag Hytec Tranny & Diff Covers, Banks High Ram intake, IC, Boost tubes, 3.5"Downpipe, SCT X3 custom tune files (Tow,Street,Extreme), EDGE Insight Display, Panasonic DVD, w/ AV+NAV, 300 Watt Inifinity AMP with 6 Sony explodes,Volant Ram air cold intake, 18" Diamo 8k wheels, BfGoodrich tires, Rolltop bed cover, Rancho-9000 adjustable shocks, 2.5" F/End lift. 2WD., Cal Tracs, lovin it....

Hoss, If you could call Dan and feel him out for me that would be great and much appreciated. I'm sure that there would be some stuff that could be written as warranty work. The truck has always been maintained at the dealer here in San Diego, and Ive never gotten any grief for the mods.
    I too have the 72k mile warranty. If that qualifiesLike Hans said, Dont ask Dont tell would be the way Id like it to roll out.
    Hoss, keep me posted om what you find out.
    Thanks again to all.
    Rob

I told him about you Rob, he said you could bring it in first part of the week. Make sure you Talk to him and nobody else. I told him you would probably give him a call. Like I said, they did my studs, and everything. Ask him to give your truck to Bud, the head diesel tech. Make sure you let him know that Matt Hurtado referred you so he will know that it's you.
    Good Luck
    The diesel shop
    23854 Via Fabricante
    Mission Viejo, Ca. 92691
    949 297 8477

Hossman!
    Thanks so much for making the call for me. I will give him a ring and see exactly when I can make the trip up. I'll call him and orchestrate the fix.
    Thanks again!
    Rob

Be patient, sometimes he is hard to get a hold of, but you can keep trying and even have him paged. He already said you can bring it in next week if you want, he just didn't want you to do it this week, because the Ford Rep is there snooping around. He looks out for everybody.
    The diesel shop
    23854 Via Fabricante
    Mission Viejo, Ca. 92691
    949 297 8477

Hoss,

SW Dan and I will be taking the truck to him on Monday. Said that he wont know how long they need it until they tear into it. Im cool with that.
    Ill just ride my motorcycle until its done.
    Thanks again for the intro to Dan .
    I'll keep you posted on probs and repairs.
    Rob

Right on bro, you and Anthony(billet garage) are gonna be there at the same time getting the same thing done.
    The diesel shop
    23854 Via Fabricante
    Mission Viejo, Ca. 92691
    949 297 8477

Just ordered the ARP studs from DPP. Awesome guys there. If need anything for your PSD, call them up first. Got all the diesel know-how, great prices, and a super cool attitude to helping us all achieve our goals.
    Having the studs sent straight to the dealer.
    Billet, chime in if you're around.
    Rob

Thread Information