Sunrise Ford Fleet

Thread: oil or transmission leak?

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Brea

oil or transmission leak?

i have a 2004 f250 with a 6.0 liter powerstroke and the torque shift transmission. recently i was under the truck and i noticed what appeared to be oil dripping from the front of the trans. i took the truck to ken grody ford and they said there was no leak and wipped the oil off. by the time i got home it was back again. i looked at the motor where the engine and the trans go together and found an approximate 3" by 2" rubber plug on the front of the trans. the oil appears to be leaking from the bottom of that plug. only problem is that it appears to be engine oil and not transmission oil. does someone know what that plug is? i'm going to take it back in next week and i would like to TELL the service writer where it is leaking from.
    2004, F250, CREW-CAB, 6.0 LITER DIESEL, LARIAT,WHITE, SHORT BED, 4 X 4, 4" PRO COMP LIFT W/ 33" BFG'S AND 17 X 10 WELD EVO CHROME WHEELS.....2006 WEEKEND WARRIOR FSC3200.

City
    Fillmore

Re: oil or transmission leak?

While I haven't crawled around too much under my truck, it sounds like you are talking about the inspection port cover. Pull your trans. dipstick and smell it...Mercon SP has a smell all its own, then take a whiff of whats leaking and see if it's the same. You don't say how old your truck is, but if it still has the factory oil in it you can check with a black light...if it's engine oil it should glow yellow. Mine had a hanging drip for some time, but no leak....supposed to be some rust preventive they dip the torque converter in or some such nonsense.
    Jim

2004 F-350 4X4 Lariat Crewcab Longbed 6.0 PSD
    5-Speed Auto., Med. Wedgewood Blue/Silver, 3.73 Limited Slip, Camper Package, Linex Bedliner, MBRP 4" turbo Back Stainless Exhaust, Spearco Intercooler (thanks Turbonetics). Built 7/03 Engine 7/16/03

1994 F-350 4X4 XLT Crewcab Longbed 7.3 IDI Auto RIP:(

1997 F-350 4X4 XLT Crewcab Longbed 7.3 PSD Auto w/ lots o bells and whistles

Have you done the first oil change yet? I had the leak on my truck, and after I did the first oil change it went away. I thought it might have had something to do with the thinner break in oil. I now have 23K miles and the leak has never come back. Knock on wood.

Here is a pic of the leak on my truck before it fixed itself.

Tranny pan stain/leak
    Steve "Max" Smart
    Owner of Billet Badges
    http://www.billetbadges.com

2003.25 6.0L F-250 4X2 XLT Sport Crew Cab with 4:30 gears, ARP Head Studs, Super Crewzer Billet Badges, Pro Comp 6" lift, Blacked out 18" wheels with 325/65/18 Nitto Terra Grappler tires, Prodigy brake controller, Wet Okole seat covers, K Cover folding tonneau cover, SCT tuner, Mag Hytec tranny and dif covers.

City
    ** OTHER **

Could be the dust cover for access to the torgue convertor-to-flywheel bolts.

*If* it's engine oil, check for any engine oil leaks at top rear & back of engine (numerous sources)leaking down from above into housing, otherwise it possibly could be rear main seal or pan gasket leak. Transfluid from that location might be input seal, though I haven't seen the torque shift on a bench yet, to know if its pump is in front(another source).

Moisture after some extended time might be tolerable, but you describe it as within a short distance, definetly ask the dealer to take another look.
    2013 F350 4x4 CC/LB Lariat Oxford White purchased from Bobby Williams, Sunrise Ford
    Stolen 2/11/14 - 2002 F350 4x4 SC/LB XLT Oxford White

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Brea

i'm sorry, my truck is a 2004 that was purchases in july of 2003. it has about 3,200 miles on it and was in for it's first oil change in december of '03. when i took it to service for the oil leak they checked the rear main seal and said everything is fine. they also put dye in the oil and checked it with the black light and said they couldn't find anything. i guess the oil is just appearing from nowhere (according to them anyway).
    2004, F250, CREW-CAB, 6.0 LITER DIESEL, LARIAT,WHITE, SHORT BED, 4 X 4, 4" PRO COMP LIFT W/ 33" BFG'S AND 17 X 10 WELD EVO CHROME WHEELS.....2006 WEEKEND WARRIOR FSC3200.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    ** OTHER **

There are a number of well documented cases of "lube" that's on the bellhousing. Apparantly, it's some sort of assembly lube that just melts down the front of the housing.

If the black light doesn't show it as engine oil and it doesn't smell like your transmission fluid (smell the dipstick of the trans to compare), it's likely this "lube"

Anyway, why not wipe it off and see if it comes back. My guess is that it won't.
    -T

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Brea

i have cleaned it off and it keeps coming back

City
    ** OTHER **

Since they have now put dye in, next week when you return it to the dealer, it should be apparent where the oil is coming from.

I can only speculate what its cause is. I hope they find it on your next visit, and your back in your truck quickly.

Keep us posted on the findings.

BTW, Welcome to SoCAPS

Rw
    2013 F350 4x4 CC/LB Lariat Oxford White purchased from Bobby Williams, Sunrise Ford
    Stolen 2/11/14 - 2002 F350 4x4 SC/LB XLT Oxford White

Big Red PSD CC

I have that same leak on mine. Thing is that its jet black....and the oil on the dipstick is clear.

But there is this smell of what smells like tranny fluid coming through the vents in town or when I get off the freeway. But lately the smells has been getting less noticeable.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    ** OTHER **

Big red, the smell goes away after 2k miles.
    I'm guessing it's tranny fluid (residue?) near the exhaust or turbo that burns when you get it hot (thus the smell only when you're "on it"...or shortly thereafter)
    -T

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Brea

what did you find out about the leak? did you take it in?

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Brea

turned out it was a rear main seal that went out....but there's more. i went on a trip and pulled my 30' trailer to south orange county for the weekend. (this was two weeks after i got it back from the dealer for the oil leak) when i got to the campground i noticed there was transmission fluid all over the underside of my truck. upon a closer inspection i saw the "expert" mechanics failed to put the tranny dip stick tubes together when they put my tranny in. they were disconected and my dip stick was dangling in never, never land. because it was a weekend and i had a trailer in tow, i had to fix the probelm myself. well, about an hour later i finally got the two ends back together. now i have to worry about the damage that might have been done by towing with low tranny fluid. does anyone know who i can write at ford to try and get the extended warranty thrown in?

City
    Santa Clarita

Dude, I would be smokin' hot! I would go into the dealer where you took it to and raise cain! Man, what a blunder! I have heard of oil change places that forgot to tighten the drain plug after changing the oil and customers got new engines after the plug fell out, but that's a new one.

Definiyley go in and talk to them about at least upping your warranty to 100k miles!
    NOGM

2004 F350 XLT Crew Cab 6.0 PSD 2wd born 10/04
    1968 Mustang GT Fastback, PSCA Limited Street
    1967 Mustang coupe
    1997 Peterbilt 379EXHD, 600hp Cat 3406E, 18 spd,
    63" Flat Top Sleeper, 265" Wheel Base, Nathan P-3 Train Horn
    48' Transcraft Eagle spread axle flatbed trailer
    1997 Ford Contour

http://www.socaps.com/photopost/show...500/ppuser/212

Thread Information