Diesel Power House

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service Engine Soon light

SoCAPS Member

Service Engine Soon light

I am new to this club and I need help. My service engine soon light is on and I don't know why. I have replaced the fuel filter/air filter and it is still on.
    I recently installed a six position box from Zelectronics and an MBRP 4" system. I towed a trailer to Texas and back with no issues. The light came on on the way back.
    The truck stalls occasionally until its hot. I turn the tuner box off and wait till its hot before I turn it back on.
    I plan on replacing my turbo wheel with an aftermarket wheel soon and I want to fix this service engine light issue at the same time.

Help please.

Sel

If it was me? I would diconnect both battery grounds. This will reset the computer and the light will go out. Then reconnect and see if the light comes on again while driving. If it does you might want to take it down to an auto parts store. Some of them will go out and pull the code for you. Then go from there.
    99 **BULLETPROOF 7.3** F-250 Lariat 6 Sp.manual,locking hubs,4:56 LS, 35-12.50-18 Kumho Road Venture M/T KL-71's , mounted on 18" Weld Wheels 14 hole, 4" National Lift, Bilstein's, 4" Mandrel bent turbo back magnaflow(full open), Banks, six gun plug and play, Firestone air bags, Husky 16K hitch w/slider, Billet grill, Hyper Diesel Brake. AFE Magnum Force Stage II intake.

SoCAPS Member

Red face Service Engine Soon Light

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Sel

No problem, let us know how it turns out...Johnboy
    99 **BULLETPROOF 7.3** F-250 Lariat 6 Sp.manual,locking hubs,4:56 LS, 35-12.50-18 Kumho Road Venture M/T KL-71's , mounted on 18" Weld Wheels 14 hole, 4" National Lift, Bilstein's, 4" Mandrel bent turbo back magnaflow(full open), Banks, six gun plug and play, Firestone air bags, Husky 16K hitch w/slider, Billet grill, Hyper Diesel Brake. AFE Magnum Force Stage II intake.

City
    Glendale

Question

Adriaan........

It would help us to help you if you supplied more information.
    You could do this by putting the information into your signature.
    Like:
    Year and model of your truck, which engine, modifications, etc.....

Do you have any after market gauges?

And, I'm curious, what's a "six position box from Zelectronics"?

2012 F350 PSD Lariet SuperCab 2X2, long bed, TriPlatinum White, all the extras
    (Bobby Williams Sale...Sunrise Ford Fontana Great Deal...Thanks)

(Traded In) 2005 F350 PSD Lariet Supercab Duallie, auto, 4.10, all the extras. (Bobby Williams Sale) Anti-Gremlin Bell hanging off front suspension, Putco Boss 4" S/S nerf bars, Velvet Ride shackles, Bull Ring tie downs, C-Btr Mirrors, muffler delete, aftermarket intake elbow.

(Sold) 2000 F350 PSD XLT Supercab Duallie

SoCAPS Member

Smile Service Engine Soon Light

How's this?
    The Zelectronix box has six positions with #6 80 hp boost. It works extreamly well by adjusting the injector timing (through the computer) and increases the quantity of fuel injected into the chamber.
    2001 Excursion, 4X4, 7.3L, Non-wastegated 1:35 Turbo.
    4" Stainless MBRP exhaust - turbo back,
    Z-electronix 6 position injector boost.
    AFE Stage II intake with ported and polished Y tube, Superior Compressor Wheel(T-61), Ranch 9000 shocks, Kenetic SS brakes.

City
    Glendale

Thumbs up

Good on the info!

Seems you don't have gauges...even with an "advertised" safe or low HP progarammer, you can still get dangerously high exhaust temperatures. I'd suggest at a minimum an exhaust gas temperature gauge and a boost gauge.

On the check engine light, it most probably has set a code in the computer telling what is wrong. The easiest and best way to see what is wrong is to get the code read!! You need someone with a code reader...dealership, auto repair shop, friend, etc...........

(Traded In) 2005 F350 PSD Lariet Supercab Duallie, auto, 4.10, all the extras. (Bobby Williams Sale) Anti-Gremlin Bell hanging off front suspension, Putco Boss 4" S/S nerf bars, Velvet Ride shackles, Bull Ring tie downs, C-Btr Mirrors, muffler delete, aftermarket intake elbow.

SoCAPS Member

Cool

Sam, you have voiced what I feared. With the black box and the trip to Texas through the Grape Vine and the Hill Country of Texas , with never dropping out of O/D I may have fried something.
    But it was worth it, with testosterone dripping, pacing the rice burners and the empty 18 wheelers, with them thinking, "what the h--- is wrong with my vehicle?", it was worth the effort I am doing now. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I will disconnect the batteries and if that doesn't fix it, then I will get the codes read at a shop.

I'll let you'll know how it goes.

Can you recommend some gauges?

A.
    AFE Stage II intake with ported and polished Y tube, Superior Compressor Wheel(T-61), Ranch 9000 shocks, Kenetic SS brakes.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Orange
    start with a side trip to Autozone. They have OBDII scanners for loan. Just scan your codes in the parking lot, makes some notes and post them here. Be advised that not all the codes get read. Both Ford and GM have extended program codes that are not read by the standard OBDII scanners.

SoCAPS Member
    the scanners at autozone wont pull the codes off our trucks. i found this out along time ago when i hooked one up and it said no code found but when i hooked up a edge evo i had 4 codes.
    2001 F-350 7.3 liter [B]AKA HBD. hillbilly deluxe[/B]
    PSD[B] 6 SPEED HANDSHAKER. [/B]crewcab,long bed
    highly modified :p
    heres a few things
    coil-rite air bags
    530 hybrids DS :smokin:
    complete big fuel system CPR+ extreme
    hoosier quick time pro slicks
    luk ceramic clutch
    ported intake turbo housing
    head studs ARP
    newer model hpop
    1.15 ar exh. housing
    dp tuner stock,tow,120,and 140
    fumoto oil drain valve NEW MOTOR BIGGER,BETTER
    4" down pipe with 4" pipe back to 6" chrome stack [URL="http://mysite.verizon.net/res85g9n/id11.html"]Click Here[/URL]
    [B]15.7@93.6 MPH 1/4 mile [/B][URL="http://media.putfile.com/157-run"]Click Here[/URL]
    1/8th [EMAIL="9.8@79.25"]9.8@79.25[/EMAIL] MPH new..im working on it;)

Worst case senario,, it is almost worth going to your local Ford Dealer to have the codes pulled ($90 diagnostics for most). If you have over 100k on the truck it won't matter, its not like they are going to "black flag" your truck with or without your box on it if over 100k, besides.. your 5 year 100k would be up depending on your date of manufacture if you are worried about your warranty... All else fails... see you local dealer for the codes, cuz once you have them a bunch of the guys on here including myself my be able to help you out... Good Luck!!

7.3L aren't too hard to tame once you can talk to the ECM... just my $.02
    [B]Shop Truck:[/B] 99.5 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke CCLB 4x4 - 4" Superlift - 35" BFG's on Weld Super Singles. Quadzilla Custom 4 Bank (0-140 hp) Stacked with Edge Juice w/Atta - PS 2000 Propane Set up - 4" Staight Pipe MBRP - AFE Stage 1 (Pro-Gaurd 7)

[B]14.32 @ 92.98 in 4WD[/B]

[B]Daily Driver: [/B]2005 Dodge CCSB 4x4 Six Speed "Hand-Shaker" - 6" Lift/ 35" Toyo Muds - A hand full of goodies that constantly change

[B]14.049 @ 98.62 in 4WD - Shifting the 6-Speed[/B]
    [B]on Pump # 2[/B]

[B]Project Truck: [/B]2002 Ford F-250, Std Cab "Cut By Gene" Short Bed - Long way from done - More to come on that truck...

SoCAPS Member

Service Engine Soon Light

Hey guys
    Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I am in Asia and I will return Monday.
    The first thing I will do is disconnect the battery terminals and see if that clears the service engine light. If that doesn't work then I am off to the dealer to get the codes read.

Thanks, I will let you all know how it goe next week.

A

SoCAPS Member

Smile Service Engine Soon Light

Here's a new one - got back to the airport last night and started the truck. The service engine light didn't come on. How does it clear itself up like that? Its been on for about a week and served as a constant anoyance. Now its gone.
    Should I just thank my lucky stars and move on or what?

City
    Glendale
    Are you sure you got the right truck back??

On the serious side, I'd check to be sure the light still works!
    When you first turn on the ignition, the Check Engine light should come on as a test.

If the light's working, and not showing a problem anymore, I'd just drive it. Depending on the error code, some will clear and not show up when the light goes out, so there may be no code currently. If it comes on again, then I'd seek a code reader.

Mine does that too from time to time, I think mine is air cleaner related.At the moment it is off. Mine only comes on when I am towing the mansion.

Thread Information