John Wood Automotive

Thread: Top Fuel Dragster Trivia

City
    Fillmore

Top Fuel Dragster Trivia

Top Fuel Dragster Trivia
    One TF dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower than the first 8 rows at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

A stock hemi will not produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F.

Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After ½ way, the engine is dieseling from compression - plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

To exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 200 mph well before 1/2 track, launch acceleration is closer to 8G's.

If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top Fuel Engines turn ONLY 540 revolutions from light to light!

The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm

The current TF dragster elapsed time record is 4.477 seconds for the quarter mile (06/02/01 Kenny Bernstein)

Putting all of this in perspective:

You are driving an average Lingenfelter powered "twin-turbo" Corvette. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start, but you still run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. At this moment, the dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot hard down, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you passed him. That, folks, is acceleration.

Think about it, from a standing start, this phenomenal machine has spotted you 200mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 feet.

Secretary Treasurer (By default) Sticker Maker by Hobby
    00" F250 CC SB. Harvest Gold
    DPPI Exhaust, Turbo Temp Monitor, DVD System. Gene’s Custom Intake with Conical Filter
    Diablo Chip, 99’ Turbo & Injectors,Pedal Mod,Single Gauge Pillar with Pyrometer,Running Boards,Fiberglass Toneau Cover

Re: Top Fuel Dragster Trivia

WOW!! That last paragraph really helps me to realize just how freaking fast they accelerate! I've never traveled at 200 mph, but even at the 137 that my car cuts out at, I can't imagine someone "blowing my doors off"...

Truly amazing!
    --ZeN--
    2004 F-250 6.0L PSD, XLT Sport, 4x4

City
    Glendale

WOW!! is right!!

Really interesting...facts I never would have thought!

But, let's put this into perspective...
    Dragster VS PSD----
    How far can a dragster pull a trailer??

2012 F350 PSD Lariet SuperCab 2X2, long bed, TriPlatinum White, all the extras
    (Bobby Williams Sale...Sunrise Ford Fontana Great Deal...Thanks)

(Traded In) 2005 F350 PSD Lariet Supercab Duallie, auto, 4.10, all the extras. (Bobby Williams Sale) Anti-Gremlin Bell hanging off front suspension, Putco Boss 4" S/S nerf bars, Velvet Ride shackles, Bull Ring tie downs, C-Btr Mirrors, muffler delete, aftermarket intake elbow.

(Sold) 2000 F350 PSD XLT Supercab Duallie

SoCAPS Member
    City
    San Marcos

The whole thing is on the edge of self destruction... They pushed it pretty far to be able to get into the sub 5's. I knew that those thing only rotated about 600 revolutions under power, but the 200mph flying start thing really makes you think how it would be to get a dig in one of those rails. I bet the world sort of gets blurry for a couple of seconds.
    SOLD--97 F250 HD Reg cab XL: Banks Powerpack, factory catalyst-yes or no- have pipe, AFE intake... 4.10's, Detroit Locker, E40D (John Wood version) - 6 liter torque converter, auto hubs, 285/75-16 bfg's . A little of this and that.

City
    Williamsburg Iowa

TRY sub 4s like 4.47sec is the record
    CHEF GENE
    GENE

99 F450 CC, AT, XLT LB Shortened Frame 3.5” , John Wood Tranny & TC , Turbonetics BB , DP Tuner (live tuned), AC Injectors , Custom Intake , Idle Speed Control, Turbo Temp Monitor , 4” Down Pipe, 5” Exhaust , Isspro Gauges , Power Pedal Mod. Fuel Regulator System , Dual Fuel Tanks. White Ext , Grey Int , Alcoa 19.5 Rims Factory Center Caps , Cowl Induction Hood , Dual Highway Products Tool Boxes.

Builder and Driver of Stroked Lightning 11.519 @ 119.26 mph

Builder of "DeRanged"

SoCAPS Member
    City
    San Marcos

If they can figure out how to run in the three's, they will need to figure out how to not go unconcious on the launch. They will have to get some kind of life-supporting g-suit. Maybe NASA has something they could use.
    SOLD--97 F250 HD Reg cab XL: Banks Powerpack, factory catalyst-yes or no- have pipe, AFE intake... 4.10's, Detroit Locker, E40D (John Wood version) - 6 liter torque converter, auto hubs, 285/75-16 bfg's . A little of this and that.

City
    Williamsburg Iowa

I bet that would be a 400mph ride
    CHEF GENE
    GENE

99 F450 CC, AT, XLT LB Shortened Frame 3.5” , John Wood Tranny & TC , Turbonetics BB , DP Tuner (live tuned), AC Injectors , Custom Intake , Idle Speed Control, Turbo Temp Monitor , 4” Down Pipe, 5” Exhaust , Isspro Gauges , Power Pedal Mod. Fuel Regulator System , Dual Fuel Tanks. White Ext , Grey Int , Alcoa 19.5 Rims Factory Center Caps , Cowl Induction Hood , Dual Highway Products Tool Boxes.

Builder and Driver of Stroked Lightning 11.519 @ 119.26 mph

Builder of "DeRanged"

City
    Fillmore

Ok the Mom in me strikes again.

What would happen if they crash at those speeds? I don't think they can make them safe enough for 400 MPH.
    I am impressed how safe they are but there have to be limits to their option in the safety dept.
    Sheryl
    Secretary Treasurer (By default) Sticker Maker by Hobby
    00" F250 CC SB. Harvest Gold
    DPPI Exhaust, Turbo Temp Monitor, DVD System. Gene’s Custom Intake with Conical Filter
    Diablo Chip, 99’ Turbo & Injectors,Pedal Mod,Single Gauge Pillar with Pyrometer,Running Boards,Fiberglass Toneau Cover

SoCAPS Member

Oh sure Sheryl....try to dump all over our glory!!!

By the way, how come Gene is in Oxnard and you're in Fillmore???????

Tim
    03 F350 XLT 4X4 CrewCab Dually with FX4 package [img]http://www.socaps.com/vBulletin/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [url="http://www.socaps.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=106"]My Bohemoth[/url]

That is a very interesting read.
    Steve "Max" Smart
    Owner of Billet Badges
    http://www.billetbadges.com

2003.25 6.0L F-250 4X2 XLT Sport Crew Cab with 4:30 gears, ARP Head Studs, Super Crewzer Billet Badges, Pro Comp 6" lift, Blacked out 18" wheels with 325/65/18 Nitto Terra Grappler tires, Prodigy brake controller, Wet Okole seat covers, K Cover folding tonneau cover, SCT tuner, Mag Hytec tranny and dif covers.

SoCAPS Member

Thanks Sheryl, that was a cool post! I attend a couple races a year at Pomona, but never really stopped to think about some of the info you put out. When I'm watching the finals in November, I will be picturing a corvette flying by the start line before launch....
    Steve
    2004 F350 4X4 Long Bed Lariat, AutoMeter Gauges on A-Pillar pods, 4 inch Pro-Comp Lift with 35 inch meat on Weld Aluminum Rims, Line-X, Billet Fuel Door, Flame Gauge package...

City
    Big Bear City

IN addition to the part of a stock hemi not being able to spin the blower on a TF dragster.... That is because at full boost, it takes over 800 HP to turn it. My friend worked for Gary Denshams (TF Funny Car)team 2 years ago and had stories that are awesome to hear... He might bring his black beauty (6.0 CC DRW 4x4)to Big Bear on Nov. 1.
    MY TRUCKS YouTube Vids

1996 F350 XLT CREW CAB 4x4 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK, 4.10 LS rear, SMFW modified by Southbend Clutch, 4 inch straight pipe, IDM MOD BY ME, down pipe, boost and pyro gauges, personal open element air filter, ORU reverse shackle kit, Bilsteins, 305/75 Pro Comp A/T

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Thread Information