Innovative Diesel

Thread: Starter Rebuild

SoCAPS Member

Starter Rebuild

Starter went completely out.. Found the following place here in the Antelope Valley:
    National Alternators & Starters
    813 W Avenue L8
    LANCASTER, CA 93534
    661-945-1818
    Did a complete rebuild of MY starter. Dropped it off at 1:00pm and they had it complete at 3:30pm. $165 with a 1 year warrenty.

Works GREAT.

Re: Starter Rebuild

nice!! dont run across many shops that rebuild them anymore.
    97 F250HD SUPERCAB 4X4 5speed FLATBED, 200k a little of this and alot of that.

City
    Fillmore

Re: Starter Rebuild

Unit II in Ventura. We use them at work for all of our high dollar starters.

Jim

2004 F-350 4X4 Lariat Crewcab Longbed 6.0 PSD
    5-Speed Auto., Med. Wedgewood Blue/Silver, 3.73 Limited Slip, Camper Package, Linex Bedliner, MBRP 4" turbo Back Stainless Exhaust, Spearco Intercooler (thanks Turbonetics). Built 7/03 Engine 7/16/03

1994 F-350 4X4 XLT Crewcab Longbed 7.3 IDI Auto RIP:(

1997 F-350 4X4 XLT Crewcab Longbed 7.3 PSD Auto w/ lots o bells and whistles

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Cypress
    Don't Ever buy a starter from Kragan even though they have a lifetime warranty, They are the biggest pieces off shit and you'll be changing starts a few time a year. I wish there was a place that rebuilt them around Orange County. My original starter that came in my 02 lasted 93k, I wish I knew what I know now.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Bloomington

Don't buy autozone starters either

I bought a starter from Autozone in Dec '06. I found that there are not rebuilt very well.

It ended up starting the motor before the pinion was engaged often. This lead to damaging the ring gear teeth. Even after a second and third starter from them, the damage was done and the starter would grind about once a week.

I ended up dressing the damaged teeth with a dremel tool and that took care of the grinding problem. If I have the trans out again I will change the flywheel because in one place the gear is only 2/3 the original width. Fortunately, this repair has been sucessful for about 2 years and over 40,000 miles now.

Also, the original starters have bronze brushes. Autozone uses carbon brushes. This is no good because carbon brushes can't handle as many amps as the bronze brushes will.

Thread Information