Sunrise Ford Fleet

Thread: Water in fuel (HFCM) warning light

SoCAPS Member

Water in fuel (HFCM) warning light

I bought my Stroke in September of last year. Last month the HFCM warning light came on, I read the manual and drained it. Now the light comes on at least twice a day. This sucks, it kills the power to the engine while moving and stalls it while at idle. Should I change the fuel filter? Has anyone else had this problem? The dealer didn't have an answer when I spoke to them about it while I was making the appointment for the tranny recall but that is a different post.
    Saltydogg

2004 F-250 CC 4x4 LB Sport
    6.5" Procom Lift w/dual resevoir shocks
    Airlift Super Duty Air Bags w/Sureset Controller
    37x12 Super Swampper SSR Radials
    17x9 XD Series Enduro Wheels
    Billet Grill
    Line-X Bedliner

City
    Big Bear City

Re: Water in fuel (HFCM) warning light

You got the dreaded bad fuel fill up. Dont fill up there anymore. Change the filter and get some Standadyn or Power service additive and double the dosage. Try that and see if it helps.
    MY TRUCKS YouTube Vids

1996 F350 XLT CREW CAB 4x4 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK, 4.10 LS rear, SMFW modified by Southbend Clutch, 4 inch straight pipe, IDM MOD BY ME, down pipe, boost and pyro gauges, personal open element air filter, ORU reverse shackle kit, Bilsteins, 305/75 Pro Comp A/T

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    ** OTHER **

There was also a few reports of bad HFCM's a while back.
    Perhaps yours is defective.

when you drain it, do you see water in the fuel?

If so, you probably got some bad fuel.

With all the rain and flooding here in so cal a few months back, I'm surprised that we didn't have more people complaining.
    -T

SoCAPS Member
    City
    ** OTHER **

oh yeah.
    If it was me, I'd drain out the fuel into cans and have a word with the station that I last filled up at.

Water is not good for the injectors.
    Injectors are expensive.
    Thus, water is not good for your checkbook (logical?)
    -T

SoCAPS Member

That's what I figured. It happened right after a fill up at a 76 station, I didn't get 100ft when the light came on. I drained it that night but the light still comes on occasionally through the day. I bought fuel filters and will drain and replace. The part that scares me is that I have run at leat 10 tanks through since the first event and I still get the warnigns.
    Saltydogg

Billet Grill
    Line-X Bedliner

SoCAPS Member

Re: Water in fuel (HFCM) warning light-UPDATE

UPDATE

OK, got my truck back last week for the tranny recall and I had asked them while it was in to look at the HFCM. The response back was comical, well not really. The service tech told me that it is normal for the light to come on as a warning. Duh. I explained to him that I had drained the HFCM and changed the filter and I am still getting the light and power loss. Are you ready for this? He told me that I should drain it after every fill. The manual is wrong in saying once a month. Can you believe that? If I drive from here to Florida, I am supposed to crawl under my truck at every fill and drain the HFCM. What a joke. Does anyone recommend a dealer in the OC area besides Mills Ford who would take a serious look at this?
    Saltydogg

Billet Grill
    Line-X Bedliner

SoCAPS Member
    City
    ** OTHER **

Re: Water in fuel (HFCM) warning light-UPDATE

UPDATE

OK, got my truck back last week for the tranny recall and I had asked them while it was in to look at the HFCM. The response back was comical, well not really. The service tech told me that it is normal for the light to come on as a warning. Duh. I explained to him that I had drained the HFCM and changed the filter and I am still getting the light and power loss. Are you ready for this? He told me that I should drain it after every fill. The manual is wrong in saying once a month. Can you believe that? If I drive from here to Florida, I am supposed to crawl under my truck at every fill and drain the HFCM. What a joke. Does anyone recommend a dealer in the OC area besides Mills Ford who would take a serious look at this?
    There is a TSB on bad HFCM's on some trucks.
    The sensor gets rusted or sticks, can't remember which.

Anyway, they should just swap it out under warranty.

2004/05 F-Series/Excursion Check Engine Light On, Codes P2614/P2617, Multiple Driveabilty Problems, Wait to Start or Water in Fuel Lights Flicker:
    Trucks built between 9-29-03 and 9-15-04 may exhibit the above conditions as well as misfire, hesitation/stumble, rough idle, and/or lack of power symptoms. These may be caused by the injector harness chafing and shorting to ground under the fuel injection control module, along the intake manifold or on heater hose clamps. If the conditions are intermittent, attempt to duplicate them by wiggling the harness as the engine is running. If a chafed injector wiring harness is confirmed, replace it with a revised harnes, 4C3Z-9C891-AB. Broadcast Message 3285.

OR MORE LIKELY...

2003-2004 6.0 Water In Fuel Lamp Illuminated:
    Some trucks may exhibit a water in fuel lamp that continues to illuminate after draining the water separator. This may be due to sedimate build up in the water reservoir. Check the electrical connections at the fuel pump assembly. Replace the fuel manifold with part # 3C3Z-9B249-AB. TSB# 04-9-2 .
    -T

Thread Information