Empire Line-X

Thread: who is close to Irvine / Lake Forest????????

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Yuba City

who is close to Irvine / Lake Forest????????

might need some help this weekend, I was down there last weekend and bought a nice little Mercedes 300D to use as a commuter, my idea was to drive my truck down, buy the Benz and trailer it back on a UHAUL. Most of the plan worked, I did drive my truck down and bought a sweet little Benz, but something happpened to the brakes on my truck, fronts heated up (Started smoking) and I lost all the pedal, until they cooled down after an hour or so. This happened twice, so I left the truck at the motel parking lot in Lake Forest and drove the Benz home.

My plan is to rent a car here in Sacramento on Friday morning and bring my tools down south, jack up the truck and remove the front wheels, make sure the calipers are free and then disable them and then drive home on the rear brakes up I5 at 0300when there is no traffic.

I know this is a hare-braned scheme, but I need to get the truck home to figure out what happened.

I think I have to return the rental car at John Wayne Airport some time on Saturday and will probably need a ride from there back to the motel parking lot near Lake Forest Dr and I5 where the truck is. I will bring every conceivable tool I have, but I may forget something, so if anyone is nearby it would be a big help.

If you can possibly lend a hand, it would definitely be appreciated

you can PM me for my cell phone, and I will also forward it to Gene and Sheryl ( weweld and stickyfingers)

big jake
    97 F250 SC shortbox 4X4 12 Valve Cummins with a few goodies
    86 F250 reg cab 4X4 XLT Lariat, 5 inch exhaust with the Fire-breathing turboed 6.9 and a set of air horns

City
    ** OTHER **

Re: who is close to Irvine / Lake Forest????????

I know this is a hare-braned scheme, but I need to get the truck home to figure out what happened.
    Yes. The fronts are oh-so important. My late 80's truck will encounter front overheating problems when the rears are out of adjustment (self adjusters are sometimes useless) That would cause me to get less than 4000 mile pad life! The brakes get hot, the fluid will boil, locking the calipers.

Sorry about your dilemma.

Robert
    2013 F350 4x4 CC/LB Lariat Oxford White purchased from Bobby Williams, Sunrise Ford
    Stolen 2/11/14 - 2002 F350 4x4 SC/LB XLT Oxford White

Jake, I live in Tustin, and I would love to help, unfortuneately I'm going camping this weekend, But my reason for posting is, if it rains too bad, I'm gonna tell the wife no go, leaving me free to help you, But it would have to rain, it's a long shot, but it is a possibility. pm me, if you need, or I can pm you with what the weather is like here.
    Big thanks to Bud and Matt for getting me back on the road!
    The diesel shop
    23854 Via Fabricante
    Mission Viejo, Ca. 92691
    949 297 8477

City
    Williamsburg Iowa

Thanks for the offer Hoss , Big Jake is a great guy and cooks a mean deep fried turkey.

Last fall at the Nor-Cal ralley we each cooked 2 turkeys , WOW what a feast.

I would love to help also but we just got the grandkids today and only have them for a week

GENE
    GENE

99 F450 CC, AT, XLT LB Shortened Frame 3.5 , John Wood Tranny & TC , Turbonetics BB , DP Tuner (live tuned), AC Injectors , Custom Intake , Idle Speed Control, Turbo Temp Monitor , 4 Down Pipe, 5 Exhaust , Isspro Gauges , Power Pedal Mod. Fuel Regulator System , Dual Fuel Tanks. White Ext , Grey Int , Alcoa 19.5 Rims Factory Center Caps , Cowl Induction Hood , Dual Highway Products Tool Boxes.

Builder and Driver of Stroked Lightning 11.519 @ 119.26 mph

Builder of "DeRanged"

SoCAPS Member

Big Jake,

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be around this weekend either, but I encourage you to rethink you plan. Going over the Grapevine with rear brakes only is insane. If you cant fix it when your down here, have it towed to a shop.
    2004 F350 XLT SRW SB CC. Thank you Bobby.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    ** OTHER **

Big Jake,

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be around this weekend either, but I encourage you to rethink you plan. Going over the Grapevine with rear brakes only is insane. If you cant fix it when your down here, have it towed to a shop.
    I'll second that.
    They don't have a runaway truck ramp for nothing!

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Yuba City

just to let all who posted here with their concerns, I DID make it home to Sacramento at about 11AM on Sunday morning, I left Lake Forest at 0245 and was over the Grapevine by 0430, no traffic, no problems, I made it to within 67 miles of home, just south of Stockton when it started raining heavily and traffic volume increased, I just pulled over and called the AAA tow Truck and they brought me right to my driveway.

By the way, the tow truck that brought me home was a 96 International 4300( I believe). The driver was a crusty old fart who had driven it since it was new, said it had the DT444 (same as the Powerstroke 7.3) it turned over 692,000 miles with my truck on the back, and according to the driver, it had never had even the valve covers off!!

86 F250 reg cab 4X4 XLT Lariat, 5 inch exhaust with the Fire-breathing turboed 6.9 and a set of air horns

glad you made it okay, jake!
    Big thanks to Bud and Matt for getting me back on the road!
    The diesel shop
    23854 Via Fabricante
    Mission Viejo, Ca. 92691
    949 297 8477

SoCAPS Member
    City
    ** OTHER **

By the way, the tow truck that brought me home was a 96 International 4300( I believe). The driver was a crusty old fart who had driven it since it was new, said it had the DT444 (same as the Powerstroke 7.3) it turned over 692,000 miles with my truck on the back, and according to the driver, it had never had even the valve covers off!!

When you run them at only 200 hp or so, they last a long time.
    Think of engine life in terms of Horsepower hours. The more HP you use, the shorter the life.
    -T

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Yuba City

gotta agree on that, the guy knew what he was driving and he took it easy on the old girl, shifting at 2k and cruised it at 55mph.

I am sure he will get a million miles out of it, he told me they have all newer rigs in that facility, but when the long hauls (50 to 150 mile runs) come up, they always dispatch the call to this truck.....

big jake

Thread Information