First Coast Diesel Performance

Thread: "Wrench Light" illuminated 2006 F-550 6.0 Power Stroke

City
    Buena Park

"Wrench Light" illuminated 2006 F-550 6.0 Power Stroke

Good afternoon ladies and gents, hope all are having a great Easter weekend.

Wondering if anybody can give me a clue as to what the most common cause of the "wrench light" illuminating is?

Here's some back ground:

I've been traveling out of town the past few months, 500 miles round trip about every other week. Having had the truck completely gone through a few years ago by Domestic Diesel, them addressing all the minor and major issues plaguing the 6.0 platform this truck has been a beast to say the least, not an issue in nearly 30,000 miles since the repairs with total mileage on the truck being 88,000. Let me be clear, I am not relating this current wrench light issue with the work done at Domestic Diesel, I could not be happier with everything they have done for me and my truck, if it weren't for John and his guy's I'd have sold this truck long ago. I could not recommend them more nor could I put into words eloquently enough to do them justice, Johns shop is clean, the knowledge and professionalism oozes from the walls and although I haven't once been in his shop that it wasn't crazy busy John and his guys make you feel like you're their only customer.

I digress....lol

For about 6 months now I've been noticing a nice blast of coked up black exhaust smoke each time I get on the accelerator hard to blow out the turbo but am thinking that is a normal thing, could be wrong, IDK? Yesterday afternoon on my way back from Fresno about half way into the 240 mile trip I noticed the wrench light had illuminated, it was just as I was approaching the California Grape Vine, a relatively steep ascent over about a 7-10 mile stretch of highway. I was running light having left the majority of my equipment on the job, the truck was running completely normal as I traversed the Grape Vine at 75mph without as much as a hiccup, all temps normal, nothing out of the ordinary besides the wrench light being illuminated, the truck ran perfect all the way home. Upon pulling into the driveway and idling the truck for about 5 minutes to cool down I shut down the engine, restarted it and the wrench light was off so not sure if it was just a fluke or if I have something to be concerned about? I hooked up my programmer this morning and there are no DTC's, the wrench light is off and the truck starts perfectly.

If Domestic Diesel was open weekends it would have been up there first thing this morning unfortunately they are closed on weekends so I have came to the second best place for information regarding Power Strokes, it's amazing the knowledge here and the help others are more than willing to provide when things go wrong!

This truck is needing to be used to head back to Fresno on Monday morning, I am not comfortable in doing so without addressing this issue, if it in fact is an issue and not just some fluke in the electronics.

Thanks for reading and any help I will no doubt receive!

Les
    Last edited by socalocman03; 04-04-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    2006 F-550 XLT 6.0 Super Duty, Tow Package, Factory Upfitters, 12' Enclosed Box Bed, Color Matched Mirrors, Flairs and Front Clip, Pioneer Avic DvD Player, 4 Polk DB Series 4 x 8's, 2 jl Audio 10W6v2 Subs, 2 Kicker Amps, HiD Headlights, LED Markers &amp; Signals, 2000# Inter-Lift Gate&nbsp; <br><span style="font-family:times new roman;"><font size="4"><span style="color:#b22222;"></span></font></span>

City
    Buena Park
    So, I am still attempting to figure out this wrench light problem. I had changed my oil and filters (by-pass and main) about a month ago, I just checked the level and to my surprise it was nearly 2 us qts low, I was aware of a small oil leak but didn't realize it was as severe as it now seems to be.

Here's a question: Will low oil cause the engine wrench light to illuminate?
    2006 F-550 XLT 6.0 Super Duty, Tow Package, Factory Upfitters, 12' Enclosed Box Bed, Color Matched Mirrors, Flairs and Front Clip, Pioneer Avic DvD Player, 4 Polk DB Series 4 x 8's, 2 jl Audio 10W6v2 Subs, 2 Kicker Amps, HiD Headlights, LED Markers &amp; Signals, 2000# Inter-Lift Gate&nbsp; <br><span style="font-family:times new roman;"><font size="4"><span style="color:#b22222;"></span></font></span>

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Whittier
    The low oil won't do it. There is no oil level sensor on these trucks. And 2 quarts isn't all that low anyway. Between the high and low hash marks on your dipstick is 2 quarts. I run 1 quart low because I like it that way, and no harm is done.

I believe that wrench light is an engine protection scheme, and most commonly goes on for either oil temp/coolant temp differential, or for over boosting. And those faults disappear after every restart. Once you shut down, our usual code readers don't find them. In your case I would bet on the overboosting, since you mentioned some black smoking at times. Although doing 75 up the grapevine could certainly cause high oil temps too.

The possibility that it is overboosting would worry me as far as continuing to drive the truck. You risk blowing head gaskets. The oil temp can usually be limped along by staying off the throttle.

I am not an expert, so take this for what it is worth. Just general ideas.
    Bill
    2006 F250 6.0 SCLB Auto

City
    Buena Park
    Thank you Bill for your reply, it is appreciated! To clarify the wrench light illuminated just prior to traversing the grape vine, not that that really matters I suppose. An over boost condition would be reflected on my boost gauge, would it not? Could the low oil condition cause a difference in coolant/oil temp and trigger the wrench light? As mentioned in my initial post the truck has been completely bullet proofed, heads ringed and studded along with an external oil cooler, a primary and by-pass oil filter as well as a coolant filter and EGR turned off via an X-cal III tuner. I've topped off my oil and will be heading to Fresno here in a few hours so I guess I'll see if the problem arises once again. If it does I just hope I make it up and back at which point it will be taken into Domestic Diesel to get a check up, John and his guys have always taken care of my truck, no doubt this time will be another happy visit!

City
    Bell Gardens
    Quote Originally Posted by socalocman03 View Post
    Thank you Bill for your reply, it is appreciated! To clarify the wrench light illuminated just prior to traversing the grape vine, not that that really matters I suppose. An over boost condition would be reflected on my boost gauge, would it not? Could the low oil condition cause a difference in coolant/oil temp and trigger the wrench light? As mentioned in my initial post the truck has been completely bullet proofed, heads ringed and studded along with an external oil cooler, a primary and by-pass oil filter as well as a coolant filter and EGR turned off via an X-cal III tuner. I've topped off my oil and will be heading to Fresno here in a few hours so I guess I'll see if the problem arises once again. If it does I just hope I make it up and back at which point it will be taken into Domestic Diesel to get a check up, John and his guys have always taken care of my truck, no doubt this time will be another happy visit!
    If you have some type of monitor hooked up, try to see if you get any DTC's while the Wrech light is on. Also when going up pay close attention to your oil temps.

City
    Buena Park
    Well, it is Wednesday and the truck made it up and back to Fresno without incident, no wrench light and the truck ran 75-80 on cruise control pretty much the complete journey including traversing the Grape vine so I am not sure what caused this wrench light last Friday afternoon. I wish my Edge CTS monitoring system hadn't been taken from the truck along with my X-cal III programmer when my truck was stolen, all I have now are the useless Ford gauges which sucks! At this point I will chock the incident up to running 75-80 mph while being two quarts low on oil which caused a greater than 15 deg delta (or whatever the delta difference is that causes the wrench light to illuminate) between the oil and coolant.

I guess my final question would be; If there was an issue beyond the being low on oil the wrench light surely would have illuminated once again during the 500 mile journey up and back to Fresno, or should I get the truck into the shop anyway?

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Whittier
    Call John at Domestic, and run it all by him for an opinion.
    Bill
    2006 F250 6.0 SCLB Auto

City
    Yucaipa
    Yes what bill said!!!!!!!
    RIP Muley 9-25-09
    You're ridin with the best now!

1996 F-350 psd drw,crew cab, declawed, demuffed,fumotoed, a post triple pillar gauges,edge evo, home-made intake, line-x (10-17-05) On-board air with loud horns. IDM MOD by matty, SOCAPS member (6-11-07) (8-21-06)coolant eye (12/28/07) Stancor gpr (12/26/07), Coolent filter (11-1-2008) Trani by JOHN WOOD, Relocated Block heater plug (1/1/2011) . more mods to come

SoCAPS Member doubleslottedflaps's Avatar
    City
    North Hills
    About 2 years ago that wrench light came on coming back from Vegas on the 15 on my 06 F350. I stopped for a 10-100 and it was off the rest of the way home. a month or more later it came on in town several times over some months. Each time it came on I was just cruising along. the engine ran normal and there wasnt any smoke out the rear pipe. It has been about a year since the last time it came on.

City
    Glendale

Smile

To kind'a reinforce what has already been posted:

Usually when you get the wrench light or Check Engine light, a trouble code is set/noted in the truck's computer.
    These trouble codes can easily be read with a scanner connected to the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) port under your dash.
    Lots of shops will check for, read, and clear the code for free.

If the light comes on, the computer is sensing something wrong and should be checked. It could be something trivial like just a sensor hiccup, or something serious that could lead to major damage to the engine down the road.

When you get a Check Engine light, always a good idea to check for the codes.
    (And, sometimes there may not be a code...if it's something that fixed itself, the code may disappear. But, if you check and there is no code, then at least you can relax and not worry about it.)

Here is a list of codes:
    http://www.socaps.com/showthread.php?t=5816

2012 F350 PSD Lariet SuperCab 2X2, long bed, TriPlatinum White, all the extras
    (Bobby Williams Sale...Sunrise Ford Fontana Great Deal...Thanks)

(Traded In) 2005 F350 PSD Lariet Supercab Duallie, auto, 4.10, all the extras. (Bobby Williams Sale) Anti-Gremlin Bell hanging off front suspension, Putco Boss 4" S/S nerf bars, Velvet Ride shackles, Bull Ring tie downs, C-Btr Mirrors, muffler delete, aftermarket intake elbow.

(Sold) 2000 F350 PSD XLT Supercab Duallie

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Whittier
    Yeah, we cannot guess what would cause the CEL. I've had faults for things as trivial as a bad fuel level sensor (gas gauge), EGR valuve, or glow plug module failure. But if it happens to be over boost or over temp oil cooler or injector contribution, you could be doing serious damage to your engine. Get smart! Don't drive around for 2 years with an unknown condition.
    Bill
    2006 F250 6.0 SCLB Auto

City
    Trabuco Canyon
    I'm wondering if the smoke is air filter related. When was the last time the air filter was cleaned?
    Adam

02 F250 cc/sb 7.3L 2wd

02 F350 sc/lb 7.3L 4wd

Thread Information