Diesel Power House

Thread: Regen Shuts Ambulance Down

City
    Glendale

Question Regen Shuts Ambulance Down

Can't tell what make of truck this is...doesn't appear to be Power Stroke.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2246259...#axzz2UpTOswiX

2012 F350 PSD Lariet SuperCab 2X2, long bed, TriPlatinum White, all the extras
    (Bobby Williams Sale...Sunrise Ford Fontana Great Deal...Thanks)

(Traded In) 2005 F350 PSD Lariet Supercab Duallie, auto, 4.10, all the extras. (Bobby Williams Sale) Anti-Gremlin Bell hanging off front suspension, Putco Boss 4" S/S nerf bars, Velvet Ride shackles, Bull Ring tie downs, C-Btr Mirrors, muffler delete, aftermarket intake elbow.

(Sold) 2000 F350 PSD XLT Supercab Duallie

City
    Chino Hills
    Looks like a MaxForce International

SoCAPS Sponsor
    City
    Buena Park
    All emergency vehicles should be smog exempt!!!

City
    ** OTHER **
    Quote Originally Posted by matt@diesel powerhouse View Post
    And mine too.

City
    ** OTHER **
    Way to go EPA and CARB.

City
    Glendale

Smile

Matt......

That statements sure opens the discussion and leaves me with some questions.

Does it mean that a smog equipped vehicle is not reliable?? If it ain't reliable enough for emergency work, then it ain't reliable enough for me as a daily driver!!

When an emergency vehicle is retired, does that mean it can't be sold to anyone...except maybe out of the country (like Mexico)?? Or will it then have to be retro fitted with smog equipment??

What would qualify as an exempt emergency vehicle?? Government owned...OK. How about private ambulance companies?? How about privately owned fire departments...like airports and large commercial plants?

I think the answer to this is, smog equipment should be made idiot proof and reliable. Ford and the other diesel manufacturers have some smart engineers...but, unfortunately some idiots (maybe the bean counters?) got in there too. Remember the first regen diesels that were setting fires with the "blow torch" exhausts?...who let that go into production??

Matt, not picking on you for your statement. I understand your thinking...it's a simple solution, just don't think that is a practical solution to a more complex problem.

2012 F350 PSD Lariet SuperCab 2X2, long bed, TriPlatinum White, all the extras
    (Bobby Williams Sale...Sunrise Ford Fontana Great Deal...Thanks)

(Traded In) 2005 F350 PSD Lariet Supercab Duallie, auto, 4.10, all the extras. (Bobby Williams Sale) Anti-Gremlin Bell hanging off front suspension, Putco Boss 4" S/S nerf bars, Velvet Ride shackles, Bull Ring tie downs, C-Btr Mirrors, muffler delete, aftermarket intake elbow.

(Sold) 2000 F350 PSD XLT Supercab Duallie

SoCAPS Sponsor
    City
    Buena Park
    Mr Samuel you can try to pick on my statement as much as you want the simple fact that the more pollution devices you add to an engine the more unreliable it is!! I deal this on a daily basis from firefighters to ambulance drivers simply excempting them from pollution controlled devices would solve all the problems!!! The little bit of pollution they put out will not cause the world to end!! I get complaints all the time about from first responders. There's another study out about how the zero emission vehicles actually clean the air while they drive. The air going in the intake is dirtier then the air going out the tailpipe so what little emmisions emergency vehicles put out would be nothing and let's not forget the study on carbon emissions in the atmosphere actually when co levels go up plants grow faster and are greener!!! The practical part about no pollution control devices is that during production is the cost of pennies on the dollar to produce block off plates and the only thing left is tuning. Don't forget about double the fuel cost to the taxpayers do to the milage drop with these devices installed!!
    Last edited by madmatt01; 06-01-2013 at 07:24 PM.

SoCAPS Sponsor
    City
    Buena Park
    When a vehicle is sold after it is decommissioned it should only be sold as parts availible to junkyards to part out ecm sent back to the factory to be destroyed you can say how is this fair to the public? it isn't fair when a first responders vehicle is stuck on the side of the road broke down while someone's life is at stake! I mean this with all respect and this should be up for serious debate when it comes to people's lives and the first responders who are trying to do there job!! Not some government agency who knows nothing about the mechanical failures of these systems who are just trying to make there tree hugging buddies happy!!

SoCAPS Sponsor
    City
    Buena Park
    My question to you is if two ambulances pull up one new and one with a 7.3l which one would you pick??? The one that may or may not make it to the hospital or the one you know will make it. (7.3) no pollution controlled devices!!

City
    Whittier
    My problem with this article, and the whole show in general is the line that says, "It was a mandate from the Environmental Protection Agency." That agency should have absolutely no power to hand out "mandates." Those should come from congress. If I remember correctly, the EPA was created to enforce environmental protection laws, not create them. Perhaps if the logic holds that an agency devoted to protecting the environment has the authority to make laws and pass mandates related to environmental protection, shouldn't laws related to diesel engines be created and passed by diesel enthusiasts?
    ~~eric.

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat 6.0L Powerstroke V8

Banks Ottomind / Intake / Monster Exhaust
    Dieselsite Coolant Filter
    ARP Head Studs
    Bulletproof EGR Cooler / Bulletproof Oil Cooler
    Heavy Duty Fan Clutch
    Empire Line-X
    Diesel Tech fuel additive
    Domestic Diesel Serviced
    "Aint no doubt my king of the mountain's built FORD tough!"

Thread Information