Stealth Automotive, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems after chip install! passenger bank not firing ! Nedd mechanic in L.A.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach

Problems after chip install! passenger bank not firing ! Nedd mechanic in L.A.

I've got problems that I know just can't be fixed over the internet but i figured I would see if anyone has a suggestion.

Friday the truck ran awesome as usual. got my chip in the mail so i pulled the pcm and cleaned the connections for the chip and all went easy. drove it around for awhile trying different programs and then it started running real rough. I limped it home pulled the cpm and cleaned the connections again and put it back together. barely runs and puts out raw fuel out the exhaust. It runs for 1 min and dies. I felt the exhaust manifold for heat and the passenger side was cold. I was just under the valve covers about two weeks ago installing new glow plugs and had replaced the valve cover gaskets a year ago with napa pre wired. the connections looked good two weeks ago. I got a code of 1316 (idm) from my old edge evo that i use for gauges. I also reflashed the pcm to stock it started and sounded good for about 2 seconds before i lost the passenger side again. wait to start light is working and so is fuel pump. Fuel is in the bowl also. I've jiggled all the wires to see if it would make a difference and no. Abs light is on also! I need a place in L.A. that can test my pcm and idm like a auto electronics place or i would love to find a mechanic to just take over and fix it $$.

Thanks for any help! Erik @ 310-350-4459

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    Its a 2001 excursion 7.3

SoCAPS Sponsor
    City
    Buena Park
    Disconnect the chip and see if it runs right if it does it has something to do with the contacts or the chip what chip do you have?

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    I took the chip out and it runs the same. I changed the cps no change. Unplugged the icp no change. Im getting ready to test the uvch with ohm meter. Just have to get some stuff out of the way. if it fails i will pull the cover. if it passes Im going to purchase a idm as i can get it today. if thats no good I'm going cry and rent a car and then get a pcm. Thanks Matt.

SoCAPS Sponsor
    City
    Buena Park
    Quote Originally Posted by Erikcarter View Post
    I took the chip out and it runs the same. I changed the cps no change. Unplugged the icp no change. Im getting ready to test the uvch with ohm meter. Just have to get some stuff out of the way. if it fails i will pull the cover. if it passes Im going to purchase a idm as i can get it today. if thats no good I'm going cry and rent a car and then get a pcm. Thanks Matt.
    I bet it's just coincidentally that the undervalue cover harness popped off!! That would be my guess its one of those things that just happens its done it to me!!!

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    i just used my meter and got 2.8 ohms on all 4 injectors from the center common. should i still pull the cover?

SoCAPS Sponsor
    City
    Buena Park
    I would if the connector is barely touching you will get resistance but there's not enough to carry amperage or voltage to operate the injectors!!

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    Your right! Im going in! Thanks

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    That wasn't it! it was a tight connection. Im putting it back together.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    It will run for 45 seconds with a big miss and then goes pop pop pop and dies. 1316 code (idm) and 1260 (pats) and abs light is on. while driving with chip in the theft light was blinking but it would still start until it all went sour.

SoCAPS Sponsor
    City
    Buena Park
    What chip did you get?? The chip may have fried the PCM or idm it happened to me one time!!

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    Its a tony tune on a ts chip. I just tried the idm from auto zone and it wouldn't fire at all. I will return it tomorrow. Now I'm trying to find a place i can take my pcm and idm to be checked out. Ive been looking online but they all seem to be in florida. Im sure there has to be one in L.A. Im working in studio city so I'm bringing them with me just in case. do you know of any pcm places? I talked to ts on friday and they said if you get a wait to start and the fuel pump works then its probably not the pcm but with the codes and abs light on I'm thinking one of the two is fried! Thanks for your input...

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    got my idm from florida and it runs the same. Its time to goto a mechanic!

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    I still haven't taken it to a mechanic but a friend gave me a link to test the connections between the idm and the engine to the injectors. My injectors checked out like they did at the uvch at 2.8 to 3.0 ohms. the power to injectors however is showing a closed circuit on the right side. The left side show open like it should. I pulled the connection off of the valve cover and it stops beeping showing the problem is under the cover. I might have a wire going to ground in there or a bad solenoid. So I'm pulling it apart again but am pumped up to be getting closer to the problem.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Hermosa Beach
    its the number 1 injector solenoid showing a closed circuit.

Thread Information