Strictly Diesel

Thread: Is it true?

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Texas

Is it true?

I heard, dont know if its true, that DMV waves the weight fees if you have a Handicap placard. Does anyone know if this is true? Sounds plausible. Thanks

City
    Santa Ana
    You can get the weight fee waived if you modify your truck for usung mobility equipment. I now have a handicapped license plate and placecard for my use.
    Bill
    _____
    Received from Bobby @ Sunrise
    2005 F350 CC Lariat LWB, 6.0L, ARE K Series cap with Bedrug bed liner, Bruno Curbsider for scooter.

City
    Glendale

Smile

Ron....

California Vehicle Code
    Division 3, Chapter 6, Article 3
    Section 9410
    Disabled Person's Exemption: Weight Fees
    (a) One commercial vehicle weighing less than 8,001 pounds unladen, which displays the distinguishing license plate designated in, and is registered to a person who qualifies for the exemption provided by, Section 22511.5, is exempt from the weight fees provided for in Section 9400.
    (b) A commercial vehicle displaying a distinguishing placard pursuant to Section 22511.5 is not exempt from weight fees.

So, to answer your question: No, it's not true.
    The weight fees will be waived only for a vehicle displaying disabled license plates, not a disabled placard.
    Reason: The disabled license plates and weight fee exemption would go to a specific vehicle...a placard can be moved and used in any vehicle the disabled person (who has the placard) is driving or a passenger in.

2012 F350 PSD Lariet SuperCab 2X2, long bed, TriPlatinum White, all the extras
    (Bobby Williams Sale...Sunrise Ford Fontana Great Deal...Thanks)

(Traded In) 2005 F350 PSD Lariet Supercab Duallie, auto, 4.10, all the extras. (Bobby Williams Sale) Anti-Gremlin Bell hanging off front suspension, Putco Boss 4" S/S nerf bars, Velvet Ride shackles, Bull Ring tie downs, C-Btr Mirrors, muffler delete, aftermarket intake elbow.

(Sold) 2000 F350 PSD XLT Supercab Duallie

City
    Santa Ana
    I forgot to mention that I ended up with a handicapped license plate. I also have a shell and a scooter lift in the bed of my truck.

Thanks for clarifying it John.
    Bill
    _____
    2005 F350 CC Lariat LWB, 6.0L, ARE K Series cap with Bedrug bed liner, Bruno Curbsider for scooter.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Texas
    I only have a temp, and that is how the Docs at Kaiser usually start out....so Im told. I will try to get a perm one in Feb. I dont know What makes a truck qualify other than the weight and the Doctor. Anyone know? Do they inspect your truck?

City
    Santa Ana
    If you go to your local DMV office and ask them they will assist you in your quest. But you will have to have a permanent disability to get plates for your truck and then modify the bed area to prevent it from being used commercialy. Yes you do have to have your truck inspected by the DMV
    Last edited by BillD; 11-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    Bill
    _____

Thread Information