Sunrise Ford Fleet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with a King Ranch?

SoCAPS Member

What is wrong with a King Ranch?

I seem to be finding them for real cheap with less than 50k miles on them. I need to get a new truck...I sold my '97 a few months ago and I hate myself for doing so.
    '97 F350 C/C 4x4 280K miles. Getting ready to sell. Time to move on, again.

City
    Big Bear City
    What years are you looking at? if it is a 6.0, I would stay away.
    MY TRUCKS YouTube Vids

1996 F350 XLT CREW CAB 4x4 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK, 4.10 LS rear, SMFW modified by Southbend Clutch, 4 inch straight pipe, IDM MOD BY ME, down pipe, boost and pyro gauges, personal open element air filter, ORU reverse shackle kit, Bilsteins, 305/75 Pro Comp A/T

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

SoCAPS Member
    Well the 6.0 thing would be for any of them then, right? I would love a 7.3 with a newer 5 sp auto trans.

City
    Big Bear City
    Quote Originally Posted by Local399 View Post
    Well the 6.0 thing would be for any of them then, right? I would love a 7.3 with a newer 5 sp auto trans.

it is pretty much a crap shoot for any 6.0. if you find one you like, get an OASIS report on it. You can post the VIN# here or on powerstrokenation.com and get a report on it.
    MY TRUCKS YouTube Vids

1996 F350 XLT CREW CAB 4x4 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK, 4.10 LS rear, SMFW modified by Southbend Clutch, 4 inch straight pipe, IDM MOD BY ME, down pipe, boost and pyro gauges, personal open element air filter, ORU reverse shackle kit, Bilsteins, 305/75 Pro Comp A/T

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.

SoCAPS Member
    What am I looking for on the OASIS, or what should I ask the owner? Is like the GM injector thing or more severe? I'm not really sure what I want, but I know it does not exist so I will have to compromise. I want a 4x4, but could live without it in SoCal, a dually would work but be a ***** to park in Long Beach, I like the 7.3 but want the newer trans, I want a crew cab/long bed but that would also suck to park in Long Beach...I'm getting a Powerstroke Ranger from Mexico...kidding.

City
    Trabuco Canyon
    6.0 has headgasket problems, injector issues, turbo issues, EGR problems, bedplate leaks. If you get a 6.0 make sure it has a warranty.
    Adam

02 F250 cc/sb 7.3L 2wd

02 F350 sc/lb 7.3L 4wd

City
    arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
    6.0 has headgasket problems, injector issues, turbo issues, EGR problems, bedplate leaks. If you get a 6.0 make sure it has a warranty.
    Or plan on dumping about 5K into it...
    89 Ranger W/2.9L of FURY!:yay:

SoCAPS Member
    Well I am not real sure that after spending $25k I would feel all giddy about another $5k. Hell I might just get an old 24V Dodge and call it good. Can pick up those up all day for $6k...tires, wheels, lift, done!

City
    arizona
    Well I am not real sure that after spending $25k I would feel all giddy about another $5k. Hell I might just get an old 24V Dodge and call it good. Can pick up those up all day for $6k...tires, wheels, lift, done!
    And 5K for a built tranny
    89 Ranger W/2.9L of FURY!:yay:

City
    Trabuco Canyon
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Or plan on dumping about 5K into it...
    Cummins conversions are a little more than that
    Adam

02 F250 cc/sb 7.3L 2wd

02 F350 sc/lb 7.3L 4wd

SoCAPS Member
    Heck...I just got talked out of a Ford on a Ford forum. Thats a first for me.

Heck...I just got talked out of a Ford on a Ford forum. Thats a first for me.
    It seems like that doesn't it. You actually just got talked out of a 6.0L by a bunch of 7.3L guys. Which is fine, the 7.3 was an amazing motor, I wouldn't mind having one. But I think that it wouldl be out performed by a 6.0L any day provided it's running right. There definitely are some issues with the 6.0 but I love mine. And a lot of other guys wouldn't trade theirs either. headgasket, injector, turbo, & EGR problems are common but provided you get a taken care of truck you should be okay and slowly modify a few things that will make it a darn good truck. I would say the later the model the better. 2006 set a record for least amount of recalls of any ford model that year.
    2006; F-250; QuadCab; FX4
    Dieselsite Coolant Filter

SoCAPS Member
    I am a die hard 7.3 guy too. I had 2 '97s one went 300k, with one trans, one went 270k on original trans. Both were well taken care of but were well used. I towed over 19k pounds often and more than that on occasion. I thought I posted this in the 6.0 section...

My dream truck would have the newer trans with a 7.3, with an engine bay that you don't have to remove the cab to change injectors, coil front springs, solid axle, manual hubs, etc...I can build that truck...FOR ABOUT $70k. I posted a VIN for an OASIS but I am not sure what that will really show. Were the head stud/gaskets a recall? How about the EGR? If not then an OASIS wont tell me anything.

I'm not sure what the hell I'm gona do. I am gona look a SUPER clean '06 CC Dually 4x4 this weekend...low miles...In the right price range, so we'll see. Like I said a cheap Cummins might just be the ticket instead.

City
    Big Bear City
    Call sunrise ford service and talk to Lee Cook. he should be able to run it for you. The OASIS will show if it one of those truck that has has everything go wrong with it, or just regular services. if the injectors, EGR, turbo, or head gaskets have been worked on a few times, you know to stay away. If it was just one of those items some time ago, than the issues are more than likely fixed.
    MY TRUCKS YouTube Vids

1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.

My dream truck would have the newer trans with a 7.3, with an engine bay that you don't have to remove the cab to change injectors, coil front springs, solid axle, manual hubs, etc...I can build that truck...FOR ABOUT $70k. I posted a VIN for an OASIS but I am not sure what that will really show. Were the head stud/gaskets a recall? How about the EGR? If not then an OASIS wont tell me anything.
    I don't know that there were ever any recalls on the parts themselves...I think the problem come from the overall design. I don't know if you are familiar with the system but from what I understand the EGR sends exhaust gas back to the turbo which gets the EGT's quite high, this coupled with the fact that they have problems with the sand used in casting the engine block circulating and clogging the oil cooler that cools the EGT's, therefore it gets real hot and thus a blown head gasket.

The best option is to delete the EGR system, but with this not street legal in Cali and the fact that we have to get smog checked now, it is a tough call on whether the best solution is really the best solution.

If you get a lower mileage truck, a coolant filter will remove this sand and prolong the life of the oil cooler and thus the EGR and head gasket. Gauges will tell you if the oil temp and coolant temp get too far out of range (17* I think) with each other that would indicate this problem is occuring. If you catch this early enough you should be able to get it fixed under the 5yr/100k warranty. Take it to the right dealer and they might replace the bolts with studs under warranty while they are in there, if you supply the studs.
    Last edited by mattymx; 05-28-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    2006; F-250; QuadCab; FX4
    Dieselsite Coolant Filter

Thread Information