Diesel Tech

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pros and cons.. the 6.4L or wait for the 6.7L

pros and cons.. the 6.4L or wait for the 6.7L

Ok, I am ordering through Bobby and we have chatted about getting the 10 or waiting for 6 months and jumping on the 11.
    I understand the power, torque and more $$ issues. He gave me some good insight which he being in the business for so long, I value.

On that note.. every and any pro or con you can think of, throw out. The more I can get the more I can truly dissimenate and make a final decision on this. I know I win either way. Along with what I have stated, I end up sitting on the fifthwheel until late next summer, driving my Jeep Rubicon, which I love anyway,

I am thinkin aloud here. I could go through the tweeks with the new engine even though I sat the first 6 months of production out. maybe not.. maybe all the kinks are worked out.. or baked in as they say in the markets.

I am also thinking by waiting that the emissions auto idle shut down and the Nav will work together being a completely new engine and exhaust system. If I buy now.. it will not and I sacrifice an ammenity I was looking forward to.

As far as overall strenght of the F-450 itself, I do not think I loose any. If anything, I could gain with new power specs.

Ok, here is where the rest of you come in. If you can think of something, anything.. please post it no matter how minor a detail, I will sift through them all. I do not mind a bunch of homework. I did it on both my other trucks and it paid off. Down the road I will pay it forward as that is how we all learn. As I have said the more I can put on the plate the more I get to chow on, the more I get to think about. It comforts me knowing that every little thing possible was considered and the decision is based on as many perimeters as can be vetted out.

I would hate to purchase and think.. well I should have considered that. I think you all know what I am saying. it is a major purchase and I really want to make sure to as close to without a doubt I made the right move...even though either is a damn fine move.. fellow Fordmen and women!!

Thank you team Diesel

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Canoga Park
    What auto emissions idle shut down?

On the 2010 F-450 you cannot get the 6.4L engine with Nav. or the rear view camera. As it was explained to me there is an emissions system auto idle shut-off which has been mandated to Ca registered F-450's that share a common wire loom?? and because of it the two will not function together. It is a sensor which actually has a timer set at 10 minutes. If your in the truck,you can tap the brake peddle and it restarts the clock. I see it as a plus for the long hard grade and maybe a stop on the summit? So, either I accept that fact, move on and purchase knowing it or wiat it out and pay more $$$ for a new 6.7L and honsetly, I am beginning to think to get the aftermarket set up on the 2010 may be a better serving of my hard earned dollars.

It is done.. the 2010 6.4L F -450 King Ranch has been ordered. No more after thought about the newest, biggest and greatest. Cannot worry about what the 6.7L could be when I know what this 6.4L is. I ordered it with the spray in bed liner, a B&W turnover gooseneck, and the fuel tank/tool box option for the bed. An after market Nav will be in order after some more research

delivery could be end of third week up to end of fourth week of Oct.

Just biding time now.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Canoga Park
    Quote Originally Posted by NEVERSWEAT7 View Post
    It is done.. the 2010 6.4L F -450 King Ranch has been ordered. No more after thought about the newest, biggest and greatest. Cannot worry about what the 6.7L could be when I know what this 6.4L is. I ordered it with the spray in bed liner, a B&W turnover gooseneck, and the fuel tank/tool box option for the bed. An after market Nav will be in order after some more research

delivery could be end of third week up to end of fourth week of Oct.

Just biding time now.
    Who did you order it from??

City
    Phelan
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumperer View Post
    Who did you order it from??
    Take a wild guess? :D
    Bobby Williams
    Director of Fleet Sales

Sunrise Ford Fleet 16005 Valley Blvd, Fontana, Ca 92335
    (909) 822-4404 (909) 434-0543 Fax Number
    Email --->bwilliams@sunrisefordfleet.com

2015 F250 Crew Cab 4X4 Platinum 6.7L / 6 Speed Auto

City
    Paramount
    New York Ford? LOL I hope you gave him a discount.
    2000 F250 5.4 249k miles. K&N filter.
    2001 F250 7.3 83k miles. Finally tuned DP Tuner, no start, 60 tow, 80 econ, 120 race, 140 agressive, airaid intake and magnaflow 4" turbo back.

Bob

City
    Williamsburg Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by orng1 View Post
    I hope you gave him a discount.
    We get a discount

GENE

99 F450 CC, AT, XLT LB Shortened Frame 3.5 , John Wood Tranny & TC , Turbonetics BB , DP Tuner (live tuned), AC Injectors , Custom Intake , Idle Speed Control, Turbo Temp Monitor , 4 Down Pipe, 5 Exhaust , Isspro Gauges , Power Pedal Mod. Fuel Regulator System , Dual Fuel Tanks. White Ext , Grey Int , Alcoa 19.5 Rims Factory Center Caps , Cowl Induction Hood , Dual Highway Products Tool Boxes.

Builder and Driver of Stroked Lightning 11.519 @ 119.26 mph

Builder of "DeRanged"

Here is the deal lads
    I have heard and actually seen Bobby's name in the pages for a very long time. Then I had no idea that I would ever be doing business with him. My goal was upon retirement to buy a 450 as I knew I did not want to haul a 5'er and toad a Jeep behind it with my current set up even though I thought it to be a monster in its own right. The self riteous me I suppose.

I would put it up against anything of equal size ,weight, mods and anything else the nay sayers would want to speculate. I have been waltzing around the pages that long and know what I had.. Banks gets all the credit due as it was their whole brochure that went into my 02 F-350 truck. We are talking about EGTs, power, temps, and all the other concerns pulling a 14.5 thousand pound fifthwheel. It was awesome!

Now then... Bobby does about the best that can be done in the sense of sales go concerning the super duty trucks. His name has been synonymus with Ford trucks for quite some time. This is fact. I am buying from him for that of many other reason, like staying in contact and keeping me informed of everything I need to know about the truck I ordered. Personally, this is my 4th Ford truck over a 34 year span. I go back to 1957 with Ford with my dad so I feel as though I can speak for the product. I bleed the Blueoval!
    As I said, Bobby has done this for as long as I can remember and I go back to RV.net pages with Smokey, which for me was 2004?? He was around before then! As I received info when Smokey posted it, they have been kicking around together way before my miniscule years here so there is some serious Ford history. Take advantage of both of their knowledge base. It would behoove you to learn from some guys that have been there. Smokey has the 99 7.3 and that's ten years alone, then add Bobby's plus 10 years buying and in sales , that coupled will get you info you can find in only few other arenas. I knew the name and when Smokey posted it here, recognizing it, I called Bobby and the rest is history. Don't take my word for it...call him!

I will post pics when my F450 King Ranch arrives with all that chrome. remember...there is no place on a Jeep for chrome, but on the F-450 King Ranch....hell yeah! chrome it up.. it is a pavement queen!
    dan
    Last edited by NEVERSWEAT7; 09-22-2009 at 07:14 PM.

City
    San Diego
    Congrats on the 2010 F450 King Ranch. The K.R. is the plushest ride out there in the truck market. I loved my 2008. You will not be disappointed. My only complaint was the mileage. What color did U order?
    2000 EXCURSION LIMITED 4X4, 7.3PSD, lots of small mods for towing power and mileage.
    (NEW TRUCK) 2013 F250 Lariat 4x4, 6.7PSD, leaving the engine alone for now...

Quote Originally Posted by SVThound View Post
    Congrats on the 2010 F450 King Ranch. The K.R. is the plushest ride out there in the truck market. I loved my 2008. You will not be disappointed. My only complaint was the mileage. What color did U order?
    I ordered the white.. not the oxford.. the more metallic colored one. I also odered all the chrome. I owned an F-350 1997 all white with chrome and it was awesome.. I loved that look. Now there really isn't a comparison to the two vehicles, just the paint. I will say that the new paint has a higher luster to compliment the chrome package. Obviously I am not buying the truck for the paint... but it does not hurt it. I am looking forward to this arrival.
    There are some changes being made out of my control with Ca. emmisions but its ok. I have to order an aftermarket navigation because the auto shut down will not work with the Nav as it is here so maybe we are looking at the work solutions. Another is the back up camera.. same thing, emissions. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Costa Mesa
    congrats - you'll love that truck.
    and get a nav and backup camera - they are like power windows - once you have them, you wonder how you ever got along without them.

Quote Originally Posted by NEVERSWEAT7 View Post
    On the 2010 F-450 you cannot get the 6.4L engine with Nav. or the rear view camera. As it was explained to me there is an emissions system auto idle shut-off which has been mandated to Ca registered F-450's that share a common wire loom?? and because of it the two will not function together. It is a sensor which actually has a timer set at 10 minutes. If your in the truck,you can tap the brake peddle and it restarts the clock. I see it as a plus for the long hard grade and maybe a stop on the summit? So, either I accept that fact, move on and purchase knowing it or wiat it out and pay more $$$ for a new 6.7L and honsetly, I am beginning to think to get the aftermarket set up on the 2010 may be a better serving of my hard earned dollars.
    I'm not positive, but I think that auto shutoff thing even applies to the 250's and 350's as well. If I recall correctly, my F250 has it. In any case, I have a Pioneer Avic-Z2 in my truck, didn't like the factory nav unit, due to limitations like iPod integration, Bluetooth integration, nav traffic integration, etc..

Oh, and I also have the factory rear camera.
    Last edited by smotrs; 10-01-2009 at 12:46 PM.
    Shaun

'08 F250 6.4L Lariat 4x4 CC/SRW fully loaded, special ordered
    6" Fabtech 2.25 dual shock lift w/18" AR wheels, 35" Toyo AT
    Avic-Z2 (Z3 Mod) Nav/Stereo w/iPod, Bluetooth, XM NavTraffic
    (2) Rear headrest mnt DVD entertainment systems
    Line-X bedliner
    Banks CAI, Dual Exhaust, 6-Gun, Speed Brake & iQ (test vehicle)
    Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched)
    Ravelco Anti Theft Device
    Harpoon mod

Quote Originally Posted by George Bush
    Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.

S
    we need to chat a bit. I am locked in for about a week then I will visit with you. Finishing my career and trying to get this tightened up. It is something to ponder over. I have about 4 weeks and will need to make a decision. Bobby likes the work solutions station.. I need to see these things in action before making a real decsions and what they will have to negate from my truck by going with any certain design. I am told that the wire loom also feeds the rear camera so that is out also. I get the back up in the mirrow.. no the screen.. thanks California...

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Costa Mesa
    Quote Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
    I'm not positive, but I think that auto shutoff thing even applies to the 250's and 350's as well. If I recall correctly, my F250 has it. In any case, I have a Pioneer Avic-Z2 in my truck, didn't like the factory nav unit, due to limitations like iPod integration, Bluetooth integration, nav traffic integration, etc..

Oh, and I also have the factory rear camera.
    my 08 job 3 doesn't have the auto shutoff.
    I've seen it work on my buddies F450, but I've let mine idle for 20 minutes or longer on several occasions and its never shut off.

Thread Information