Diesel Tech

Thread: time for a new 6.4?

SoCAPS Member

time for a new 6.4?

we own a couple of power strokes but our 6.0 is just to unreliable. I think we are going to buy a new 6.4 truck. ut i really like the Dodge truck (4500 ) better fuel mileage and I believe a better true and tested motor. have you guys heard anything on the Dodge trucks? how is their tranny holding up?
    2000 f450 7.3 auto
    2003 f350 srw 4x4 7.3 auto
    2004 f450 6.0 auto

SoCAPS Member
    the only thing i know about the dodges are their automatic transmissions are known for being unreliable and i believe still are even in their new trucks. other than that i like the dodges. at the same time i would take the torqshift over the chevy allison or dodge trans anyday. these 6.4s are pumping out over 550hp and 1100tq on stock transmissions and are holding up extreamly well. and as far as the better fuel mileage goes, im getting 20-23 on the highway with my 6.4. IMO you cant beet it!

City
    Santa Clarita
    Quote Originally Posted by RR hauler View Post
    we own a couple of power strokes but our 6.0 is just to unreliable. I think we are going to buy a new 6.4 truck. ut i really like the Dodge truck (4500 ) better fuel mileage and I believe a better true and tested motor. have you guys heard anything on the Dodge trucks? how is their tranny holding up?
    My dad has a 08 450. Thing is sweet but it has been in for work three times. These seem to be better than the Dodge though...
    Quote Originally Posted by ididntdoit5150 View Post
    the only thing i know about the dodges are their automatic transmissions are known for being unreliable and i believe still are even in their new trucks. other than that i like the dodges. at the same time i would take the torqshift over the chevy allison or dodge trans anyday. these 6.4s are pumping out over 550hp and 1100tq on stock transmissions and are holding up extreamly well. and as far as the better fuel mileage goes, im getting 20-23 on the highway with my 6.4. IMO you cant beet it!
    Damn! How do you get 20-23 even with a DPF delete? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought more like 17 is expected...
    2006 CC LB FX4 Lariat
    SCT X3 w/ IDP tunes, ARP studs, FASS 150/180, strait pipe, S&B CAI, FCDP Solid Uppipe, DieselSite Coolant Filter, Autometer Gauges
    N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas, 2.5" BTS level, Xtreme A/T 35's on black Hoss 18's
    Pioneer Double Din, JL Audio Speaks, and 3 Pioneer 10's

1974 VW Baja, Over 20K invested! Click here for pics!

City
    Riverside
    Quote Originally Posted by 06powerstroke View Post
    My dad has a 08 450. Thing is sweet but it has been in for work three times. These seem to be better than the Dodge though...

Damn! How do you get 20-23 even with a DPF delete? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought more like 17 is expected...
    Wow, and these are stock numbers, I wonder what they'd be if it was lifted with some wider wheels?

I really like the 08's but the gas mileage also makes me hesitate on the purchase.

City
    Simi Valley
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselfumes View Post
    Wow, and these are stock numbers, I wonder what they'd be if it was lifted with some wider wheels?

I really like the 08's but the gas mileage also makes me hesitate on the purchase.

even with my dpf on i seen 19 to 20 higway miles but while in traffic is another story!
    so i got rid of it and i got more power and lil bit better mileage

Thread Information