Strictly Diesel

Thread: 02 PSD Front Hub Replacement Q??

SoCAPS Member

Smile 02 PSD Front Hub Replacement Q??

Looks liek I am about to get bit by the front hub beast. Have been expecting it, and today as I came down from the Lagunas, heard a rumble and growl from the front passenger wheel. Am going to check it all out in the morning.

Got a question or two though:

Though the Dynatrac kit is the way to go, a new roof and termite treatment gets the $$ before the truck; so am going to just use a replacement kit. Any one got feedback about using one of the kits you can find on E-Bay, from folks like AutoParts Direct to you, Ace Auto, AM Autio, etc???

And the locking hub replacement..saw some stuff where they say get rid of the auot-locking hubs, and go straight to Warn Manual locks. Anyone disagree? (I don't use the truck to do 4-wheeling) But do tow in desert, and use it as a work truck.

SoCAPS Member RICHARD @ LINE-X CV's Avatar
    City
    Simi Valley
    Here is my thought. Those kits are 2000.00. Wow thats alot of money. A front hub is about 300.00 a side. My excursion has 95000 miles on it. Lets say they go out at 100,000 miles. I could replace them 3 times for that amount. So i could go 400,000 miles on that.

Yes the locking hubs are 1 of my next mods i think. But 2k for this hub kit. A bit out of my pocket book.

Just my thoughts.
    2002 EXCURSION 7.3 6" LIFT ON 37 BFG KMS'2, 07 GRILLE AND BUMPER. 07 HARLEY HEADLIGHTS AND GRILLE. ATS TURBO, 5" EXHAUST, MAG-HYTEC COVERS, CUSTOM CROSS ENTERPRISES REAR BUMPER AND TIRE CARRIER.

I replaced a hub at 100,000 with EOD part and replaced the lockers with warn manuals( heavy duty 31 splin $275.00 a set). I had trouble with the autos and vacum leaks. Burned up the vac pump plus one side was locked in all the time.

City
    City Of Industry
    Quote Originally Posted by GRANPA View Post
    I replaced a hub at 100,000 with EOD part and replaced the lockers with warn manuals( heavy duty 31 splin $275.00 a set). I had trouble with the autos and vacum leaks. Burned up the vac pump plus one side was locked in all the time.
    Did you do it yourself?

Where did you buy the parts and what was the total cost?

How many hours did it take?
    2003 Ford f250 CC LB 7.3L
    Vegistroke Kit
    Lifted 9.5" w/ 37 Toyo MTs
    JW Trans

Yes I did it myself and the parts I got at car quest. You should be able to get them at Napa also. Only took an hour or so for the lockers. The hub was a different story. You have to remove the studs from the old one and put them in the new one unless you can find them new. the hub cost $300.00 plus but I dont remember down to the dollar. I was in NC at the time so I may be differnt out here on the place to get them.

SoCAPS Member RICHARD @ LINE-X CV's Avatar
    City
    Simi Valley
    Looks like a wrenching day project.
    2002 EXCURSION 7.3 6" LIFT ON 37 BFG KMS'2, 07 GRILLE AND BUMPER. 07 HARLEY HEADLIGHTS AND GRILLE. ATS TURBO, 5" EXHAUST, MAG-HYTEC COVERS, CUSTOM CROSS ENTERPRISES REAR BUMPER AND TIRE CARRIER.

Aint no hill for a climber!!

SoCAPS Member Raul @ Stealth Automotive's Avatar
    City
    Simi Valley
    im thinking mine are gone now too... when i was at mammoth all i did was lock the hubs (warn) just in case i needed to use 4wd and i was getting some bad vibration from the front end and it got worse the faster i went....

SoCAPS Member
    City
    San Pedro
    Quote Originally Posted by optx002 View Post
    Did you do it yourself?

Where did you buy the parts and what was the total cost?

How many hours did it take?

2hrs labor max, add one hour for every six pac of beer
    2000 F 250 CC SB 4x4, Weld Wheels, 35" BFG AT's, Line X, Rancho Lift, Superchips tuner, Alpine MP3 Player, Leer Shell.
    Runs on WVO

Fishing Hunting and Truck Pics

City
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdogs View Post
    Looks liek I am about to get bit by the front hub beast. Have been expecting it, and today as I came down from the Lagunas, heard a rumble and growl from the front passenger wheel. Am going to check it all out in the morning.

Got a question or two though:

Though the Dynatrac kit is the way to go, a new roof and termite treatment gets the $$ before the truck; so am going to just use a replacement kit. Any one got feedback about using one of the kits you can find on E-Bay, from folks like AutoParts Direct to you, Ace Auto, AM Autio, etc???

And the locking hub replacement..saw some stuff where they say get rid of the auot-locking hubs, and go straight to Warn Manual locks. Anyone disagree? (I don't use the truck to do 4-wheeling) But do tow in desert, and use it as a work truck.
    I think everyone's thinking hub locks only and not bearing. Am I correct? Definately not a 2hr project but can be done in a full day. Like Richard said I would advise against dynatrac. Great product, but unless your seriously into wheelin then it's not worth the cost.
    2003 F350 7.3l, 60Kmi, XLT, CC, LWB, SRW, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73LS. 4" BDS lift w/315/75/R16 Toyo MT's on Mickey Thompson classic II wheels. Isspro gauges, Mag-Hytec tranny pan, B&M tranny cooler w/fan. Line-X bedliner. Firestone air bags.

City
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastpowerstroker View Post
    I think everyone's thinking hub locks only and not bearing. Am I correct? Definately not a 2hr project but can be done in a full day. Like Richard said I would advise against dynatrac. Great product, but unless your seriously into wheelin then it's not worth the cost.
    Ok reread everything. Im thinking of when I did my ball joints. 2hrs is feasable but I like to drink and wrench also:D
    2003 F350 7.3l, 60Kmi, XLT, CC, LWB, SRW, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73LS. 4" BDS lift w/315/75/R16 Toyo MT's on Mickey Thompson classic II wheels. Isspro gauges, Mag-Hytec tranny pan, B&M tranny cooler w/fan. Line-X bedliner. Firestone air bags.

SoCAPS Member
    City
    Norco
    I wouldn’t waste the money on a Dynatrac kit. I thought about it but it’s expensive. Unless you got big oversized tires and you wheel a lot then they would be beneficial. Other than that my hubs lasted 165,000 on one truck and 150,000 on another and the trucks are a 99 and 2000. To replace them it cost $280 a pop. And I did no maintenance to the hubs in tha5 time. But with greasing the hubs throug the antilock sensor hole and greasing the spindle bearing once a year I don’t see why I couldn’t get at least that amount of miles
    Last edited by Rob454; 04-12-2019 at 04:15 AM.

Thread Information