PDA

View Full Version : MBRP Exhaust Stacks

timid1
06-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm hoping maybe Bobby or one of his techs can help me out here. I own a 2008 F250 PSD and would LOVE to have dual MBRP exhaust stacks installed on my truck. I'm worried about this because obviously, the stacks don't incorporate the signature exhaust fins that I understand aide in keeping EGTs low. Can anyone who might be knowledgeable in this area put my mind at rest ... and tell me whether installing the stacks my have any deleterious effects on my truck?

RICHARD @ LINE-X CV
06-06-2009, 02:37 PM
From what i have seen, ford will void your warranty if you change exhaust.

orng1
06-06-2009, 07:23 PM
How does that fin deal keep it cooler than what stacks would. There is way less piping so that would be less restriction keeping the EGT's cooler than stock. What's wrong with ford?

K5Cruiser
06-06-2009, 09:12 PM
If you go to stacks, do you lose the DPF?

timid1
06-06-2009, 10:44 PM
If you go to stacks, do you lose the DPF?

No. It's DPF-back.

orng1
06-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Shouldn't be a reason to void the waranty if it doesn't interfere with emissions.

timid1
06-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Shouldn't be a reason to void the waranty if it doesn't interfere with emissions.

Despite it being DPF-back, I'm not clear if the fins are considered emissions-related. Even if they're not, I'm concerned about EGTs. Common sense tells me that bigger pipe should mean lower EGTs, but my common sense has failed me before.

weweld
06-07-2009, 06:11 PM
The tips on the exhaust are to cool the exhaust so people don't get burnt when walking by the truck , it has nothing to due with the EGT's of the truck.

BFT
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
besides the fact of drilling holes in the bed it really shouldnt. it does keep the egts lower but will not likely make a dif. in the sound or performance, unless you are deleting the dpf.

orng1
06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
It should be louder, maybe not by much but you have less piping and it's right by your ear now.

timid1
06-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Apparently ATS is working on a hi-flow DPF and has a pretty gnarly set of stacks too. Trying to find out when they're both going to hit the general public, at least for just the stacks because I've straight out fallen in love.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/ford/0905dp_2008_ford_f350/photo_04.html

BFT
06-08-2009, 09:07 PM
i got the banks dpf back monster exhaust which eliminated the muffler and it didnt make any difference at all performance or sound.
as far as ats...not to bash on their product but changing to a high output dpf will still void warranties.
as far as the stacks go...i dont see it serving a purpose on keeping egt's down. thats only my opinion

timid1
06-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Everyone talks about warranty. Magnusson-Moss may have its place, but that's not what I'm asking about. I don't know enough about diesel trucks to say what might affect the warranty. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to say either way. All I know is that you've got to pay to play.

BTW, Banks Monster Exhaust is a 4-inch DPF-back pipe. Grand Rock has a 5 inch exhast w/ upwards of 7-inch stack pipes. I'm not sure what the relationship is between larger pipes and performance or even EGTs (although it seems the consensus here is that size of the pipes have squat to do with it).

Seriously, though, I'm a software engineer who dabbles with firmware for a living. I know squat when it comes to this kind of stuff. :-D

BFT
06-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Everyone talks about warranty. Magnusson-Moss may have its place, but that's not what I'm asking about. I don't know enough about diesel trucks to say what might affect the warranty. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to say either way. All I know is that you've got to pay to play.

BTW, Banks Monster Exhaust is a 4-inch DPF-back pipe. Grand Rock has a 5 inch exhast w/ upwards of 7-inch stack pipes. I'm not sure what the relationship is between larger pipes and performance or even EGTs (although it seems the consensus here is that size of the pipes have squat to do with it).

Seriously, though, I'm a software engineer who dabbles with firmware for a living. I know squat when it comes to this kind of stuff. :-D

i know what it is because its on my truck, and its actually 4" from the down pipe back now.

i only say about voiding warranty being that all deisels 98 and up will be smogged and dealers are cracking down as far as tuners, intakes...pretty much what isnt "FACTORY" installed.

IMO, the "you gotta pay to play" saying...if your gonna pay so much money to have a aftermarket dpf that can cost you and still void your warranty then why not delete the whole thing or just keep what you got and ride out the warranty?

timid1
06-09-2009, 10:26 PM
i know what it is because its on my truck, and its actually 4" from the down pipe back now.

i only say about voiding warranty being that all deisels 98 and up will be smogged and dealers are cracking down as far as tuners, intakes...pretty much what isnt "FACTORY" installed.

IMO, the "you gotta pay to play" saying...if your gonna pay so much money to have a aftermarket dpf that can cost you and still void your warranty then why not delete the whole thing or just keep what you got and ride out the warranty?

Nah we're cool, dude... I was just pointing it out that pipe size might make a difference. Just not sure.

I'm not deleting it because my truck is my DD.... can't afford to not be able to drive it because it didn't pass inspection.

I know all about the mod stuff. I had two gasser trucks, both modified. I had a hell of a hard time getting them smogged because no shop wanted to take the risk even though I had all the CARB EO stuff in order. Exhaust wise, unless they consider the fins an emissions item, then I'm peachy!

Still haven't heard back from any of the Sunrise Ford guys, though. :(

BFT
06-09-2009, 10:44 PM
mine is a dd with cat/dpf delete and spartan tuner. i get about 19 to 21 highway and about 16 on the street on 18x37's.