PDA

View Full Version : need help with this

TUCSON STROKER
07-10-2007, 09:50 PM
i need help with this. i have an 07 F250 psd cc lariot fx4. i love this truck but i have a chance to get an 08 F350 psd cc lariot fx4 longbed. i don't know enough about the 08's. could use some input here. thanks,john.

Tom
07-11-2007, 09:34 AM
The 08's are more refined.
Longer rear springs (smoother ride)
upgraded frame
thicker side glass

the 6.4 engine seems pretty good so far, very quiet.

If it's going to cost you a lot of $$$, or you're planning trips to Mexico (no ultra low sulfur diesel fuels), then keep the 07.

I like my 08 so far.

Big Red
07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Are you saying that the all of the 08 must run ultra low sulfur diesel fuels? Or just the twin turbo?

Samuel1941
07-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Just the twin turbo!

And, they are all twin turbo!!

Number of turbo's on the 6.4L is not an option. And, using ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) is not an option either.

ULSD is all you can get in California...but, if you travel cross country or into Mexico, be careful what you pump into your tank.

Just to address the original question and to support what Tom said, I like the new styling and everything I read is that the 6.4L is a pretty good engine!! I'm very happy with my "05 6.0L and can't justify the extra money to upgrade to an "08. Keep the "07 or get an '08...both great trucks!!

TUCSON STROKER
07-14-2007, 10:41 AM
thanks for the reply. i've been doing alot of thinking and i have decided to keep my 07. i love this truck, for me its perfect.

SandShark
07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Not to hijack the thread but the new 6.4 is not meant to have any other kind of diesel in it but ULSD???? whats the story behind this??? Just all about the emissions?? would cause catastrophic failure if you went to mexcio and put the other kind or would it just cause it to go into regeneration mode alot more???

Samuel1941
07-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Just all about the emissions??

Yes........

And, according to the International representative who attended the last SoCAPS Anniversary Meeting and spoke on the 6.4L, an occasional tank full isn't going to do any damage. As you mentioned, it may effect regen and the particulate filter...no damage to the engine.

Tom
07-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Yes........

And, according to the International representative who attended the last SoCAPS Anniversary Meeting and spoke on the 6.4L, an occasional tank full isn't going to do any damage. As you mentioned, it may effect regen and the particulate filter...no damage to the engine.

But, I have read that to replace that DPF is going to be pricey.

Your fuel mileage will also go in the can with just regular Low Sulfer Diesel. The regen mode uses fuel.

watersurgeon
07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Are you saying that the all of the 08 must run ultra low sulfur diesel fuels? Or just the twin turbo?

All diesel sold in the U.S. that has highway tax added to it is required to be Low Sulfur. I think that went into effect sometime late last year.

Samuel1941
07-24-2007, 11:04 PM
OK, here is the information on the dates that ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) is available in the United States.

Note that here in California, ULSD is the only diesel available.
BUT, in the other 47 states (Alaska is exempted and Hawaii I don't know) total ULSD is not mandated until December 1, 2010!!!...till then, it's optional!! (Well, sort of...refineries must produce 80% ULSD, but 20% of production can still be just low sulfur diesel (LSD) till 12-01-2010.)

http://www.clean-diesel.org/highway.html

I don't know what Canada and Mexico are doing with regard to ULSD......

Bottom line...when you drive outside California, you need to check the pump sticker to be sure it's ULSD. Until December 1, 2010, there's up to a 20% chance it might not be!!

SandShark
07-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I was checking out the website samuel posted and i read that it says that non highway diesel may damage these vehicles and engines.....why is this?

i would think that more sulfur in a pre 2007 diesel engine would be even better for it than using Lsd diesel as its sulfur content is capped @ 500ppm where as the non highway stuff can exceed that....

Is saying that non highway diesel can damage the engine or vehicle the govt's. way of trying to scare us into not being tempted filler up once in awhile with it???

Samuel1941
07-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Is saying that non highway diesel can damage the engine or vehicle the govt's. way of trying to scare us into not being tempted filler up once in awhile with it???
I'd think the red dye in off road diesel and the hefty fine if you get caught would scare you enough!

SandShark
07-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah the red dye would defianitly do it hehe.....so there are no other consequences engine wise accept if you get caught with it in your tank....

KF6PLH
07-28-2007, 06:06 PM
But, I have read that to replace that DPF is going to be pricey.

Your fuel mileage will also go in the can with just regular Low Sulfer Diesel. The regen mode uses fuel.

It depends on what you mean by "in the can". When my truck goes through a regen it looses about 1/2 MPG.

mschn99
08-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Red dye has way lighter sulpher restrictions....thus it could ruin a 6.4 and or the regen componants and even in a 6.0 could damage stuff, although that is unlikely. Most red dye is LSD with dye added....some is even ULSD with dye added...

Samual is dead on with his info above!! And only run LSD in a 6.4 as a last resort, because even though one tank wont hurt anything, the DPF is going to be 1100-1500 dollars to replace plus labor if it isnt cleanable, and ford has taken a stance that unless a componant can be shown to be the cause of a DPF replacement or cleaning, they absolutely will not cover it. it is a maintanence item unless something else fails and causes it to have a problem...