PDA

View Full Version : Can SoCAPS step up???

mattymx
06-01-2007, 10:18 PM
A couple weeks ago, one of my sons friends was hit by a car while riding his dirt bike. The car dragged him for a long distance and the injuries are very severe. There is going to be a fund raiser to help his family with the costs. I am asking our membership if we can make this event an unofficial gathering and help my sons friend and family. Bens dad is a good friend of mine and I can not imagine what he is going through. Here is a little flier that is going around and I hope some of you will take the short drive up here, relax by the lake and help my friend. They really need our help. Thanks guys. Below is the flier.

Benefit for 13-Year-Old Ben Bynum on June 9
Friends of the Bynum family are hosting a fundraiser on Saturday June 9. Ben Bynum, a 7th grade student at Big Bear Middle School and the son of Perry and Denise Bynum, suffered extensive injuries in a motorcycle accident on May 14, and has undergone several surgeries at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center since being airlifted to the Colton trauma center.
The June 9 benefit will feature eight local bands of various genres, including Skeleton Key, Band of Brothers and Shot Collar. A $5 donation is requested at the gate, and hamburgers and hot dogs will go for $1, and all proceeds will go to an account for the Bynum family at First Mountain Bank. The 11am fundraiser takes place at 39511 North Shore at Canyon in Fawnskin. This is a family event so no alcohol, but bring your chairs and blankets.

weweld
06-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Sheryl and I will be up there sounds like a fun day and a way to help someone out that really needs it.

mattymx
06-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Sheryl and I will be up there sounds like a fun day and a way to help someone out that really needs it.

Thank you Gene. It means a lot.

SandShark
06-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Dude can do it. i will be there for sure.

Hoss350
06-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Hey Matty, My family will be up there for sure, anything for a friend. Sounds like another SO CAL Caravan trip, come on guys what do you say. One of our members is asking for our help! Lets do this.

bigrpowr
06-02-2007, 02:50 PM
i have prior engagements that weekend , but is there some place i can send a check? i'd love to help.

mattymx
06-02-2007, 03:05 PM
i have prior engagements that weekend , but is there some place i can send a check? i'd love to help.

That would be great Mike. Thanks a lot. I wish you could make it. If you see Gene, send it with him. You rule bro!!!

SandShark
06-02-2007, 04:27 PM
O man hoss the king of caravans. Lets see which way everyone is gonna go and lets get one going again. that was goodtimes lastime.

mattymx
06-02-2007, 04:33 PM
I should also find a place and time to meet up here. That way we can have a train of SoCAPS members arrive all at once.

SandShark
06-02-2007, 04:41 PM
That would be awesome lol. park all in a line. as if are trucks were going to be graded.

weweld
06-02-2007, 06:38 PM
I can do that Mike :yay:

SandShark
06-02-2007, 06:49 PM
I can do that Mike :yay:

Cam do what. I am lost..........:rofll:

Hoss350
06-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Cam do what. I am lost..........:rofll:

He's talking about getting the check for a donation from mike and taking it to the fundraiser.

Hey Matty, where exactly is this place? Big Bear?? How long would it take to get there from tustin, so I can plan.

SandShark
06-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Bah to many mike's lol....

SandShark
06-02-2007, 07:28 PM
According to map quest. from your house hoss350 to the fund raiser is 83 miles. give or take hehe/

mattymx
06-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey Matty, where exactly is this place? Big Bear?? How long would it take to get there from tustin, so I can plan.

It is in the North West part of Big Bear Lake. So it is by the dam. I will get a map out ASAP. It should be 2 hours or less from you Matt.

deadrock69
06-03-2007, 04:44 AM
:yay:WOW Matty your friend has a great friend (you) Hey bro its my little girls 1st b-day and we are going to be at the zoo and doing the b-day things you know, But hey as Mike side where can i send a check i would love to help out.I wish i could make it i love doing all the club things that i can but i think i need to take a rain check on this one guys. SORRY. :yay:

glamis_dave
06-03-2007, 03:32 PM
i was thinking about this.....and i ran across it by accident.....if you want to have a good impromtu socaps turnout.......perhaps putting a link on all the most popular pages to this post might generate a bigger respons from socaps members........cause to me this important post is like in section c page 17....buried !!!!

weweld
06-03-2007, 05:06 PM
The best way everyone to see it is to keep making posts in this thread to keep it on top of the list.

Eagle0ne
06-03-2007, 06:35 PM
.. I could send a check next week, unfortunatly I don't think I could make it to Fawnskin next weekend... how & where did it happen.. You don't need to answer if its wrong to ask...Hope Ben will be o.k for the future Best Wishes to him and his family.

glamis_dave
06-03-2007, 07:20 PM
10-4 was hopeing to make more noise than that.......but i'll do what you say......tag your it...............

BilletGarage
06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Holy cow! That's horrible . . . Well I would make this event in a heartbeat but I have a prior commitment that day also. But I will absolutely send a check. Is there an address we can mail to? Or maybe I could drop it by a members house who's going? Who should we make the check payable to? In the meantime, my prayers go out for Ben and his family . . .

mattymx
06-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks a lot guys for everything.. If you want to send a check, you can send it my way and I will get it to Ben and his family. You have no idea what this means to me guys... I am a lucky guy to have so many friends like you all. Thanks.

Matt Hawkins
2124 Erwin Ranch Rd.
Big Bear City, Ca.

mattymx
06-03-2007, 10:18 PM
And just an FYI...
If you do send a check, make sure it has your screen name as well on it. That will help me out a lot.:peace:

deadrock69
06-03-2007, 11:39 PM
:yay: Ok no prob.i will put my screen name on the check but who do we make the check out to ? And we my be able to make it after the b-day is over.What time will it be going till ? We will try our best to get up there.:yay:

leros
06-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey Matt,

I'm sorry to hear what happened to little Ben, that's really awful. I hope that he makes a full recovery with no further problems. Unfortunately I will be out of town for a soccer tournament both days that weekend with my Daughter so I will be unable to come up the hill although I would love to. I will be sending you something to pass along.

I'm sure that Ben's family cherishes the friendship and love that you and yours are putting forth.

mattymx
06-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Robert and Steve, I cant thank you guys enough. This is a really special team we have here at SoCAPS.

BilletGarage
06-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks a lot guys for everything.. If you want to send a check, you can send it my way and I will get it to Ben and his family. You have no idea what this means to me guys... I am a lucky guy to have so many friends like you all. Thanks.

Matt Hawkins
2124 Erwin Ranch Rd.
Big Bear City, Ca.

Payable to: ???

mattymx
06-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Perry Bynum... Thanks for checking.

BilletGarage
06-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Perry Bynum... Thanks for checking.

Check going out today . . . Anything new to report on Ben's condition???

mattymx
06-04-2007, 11:45 AM
They are still waiting for him to stabilize a bit more before they start surgery on his arm. I cant count how many others he has already had. I heard he is off his breather so that is good.

SandShark
06-04-2007, 11:56 AM
They are still waiting for him to stabilize a bit more before they start surgery on his arm. I cant count how many others he has already had. I heard he is off his breather so that is good.

Thats good to hear. i see to many peeps on those things. he is to young to be on one anyway. he has the fighting spirit i am sure.

BilletGarage
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM

Poor guy . . . But like SandShark said, he sounds like a fighter! "Stabilizing" is good and being off the ventilator is awesome news!

Hoss350
06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
He is in our prayers for sure. Sounds like he is hanging in there, that's great news. Give everyone our best.

Ewog
06-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Wow this sucks to read. Same kind of thing happened about two years back to my nephew. I am sorry to hear this. We as well have a prior commentment this weekend but I will be sending out a check this afternoon to you Matt to give to your Friends.

blackqball
06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
This is horrible to hear. I love my daughter to death and I know that if something like this happened to her that I would want as much support from friends and family as possible. You are doing an awesome thing matty. God Bless You Bro. I'll send my check out tommorrow and I really wish I could be there. Unfortunately I have to work this weekend. My families prayers will be with his.........

mattymx
06-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Holy cow! That's horrible . . . Well I would make this event in a heartbeat but I have a prior commitment that day also. But I will absolutely send a check. Is there an address we can mail to? Or maybe I could drop it by a members house who's going? Who should we make the check payable to? In the meantime, my prayers go out for Ben and his family . . .

I got it today. Thanks Anthony. You rule bro...

BilletGarage
06-07-2007, 11:02 PM
I got it today. Thanks Anthony. You rule bro...

My pleasure . . . Please give Ben and his family my best! Any news?

mattymx
06-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Insurance Co. is pulling major crap. he still needs his arm opperation and they are not wanting to cover it. But overall he is doing better and there is a slim chance he will be at the event. Thanks again.

BilletGarage
06-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Insurance Co. is pulling major crap. he still needs his arm opperation and they are not wanting to cover it. But overall he is doing better and there is a slim chance he will be at the event. Thanks again.

Oh geez . . . How can they possibly be arguing in light of what happened to this poor kid? Unbelievable . . . :mad:

Good to hear his overall condition is improving. That's excellent news! Ben making the event would sure be extraordinary! Keep us posted and take lots of pictures guys! I can't make it but I want to see what I missed. ;)

SandShark
06-08-2007, 01:52 AM

There needs to be a point where insurance companies get cutoff.......This not about money this is someones life...I hate politics....

Samuel1941
06-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Matt..........

I won't be attending the event...but, I've put a check in the mail to you!!

I hope the event goes well!!

Best wishes for Ben!!

mattymx
06-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks a lot John. I appreciate it all from everyone.

BWilliams
06-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your friends son. With boys of my own that ride dirt bikes and quads it makes me quiver. It doesn't look like we'll be able to make it, but a donation is on it's way.

Hope Ben gets well soon !!

mattymx
06-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks Bobby..:waytogo:

Samuel1941
06-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Here's a thought...........

For those of you who wanted to attend the benefit, but for whatever reason can't, figure how much the fuel to drive round trip to Big Bear would be and send MattyMX a check for that amount.

That's how much (minimum) it would have cost you to drive to the event, so really you're not really out any money.

Sure, you'll miss out on the truck get together, but you should feel good helping someone with the donation.

And, it's not too late to donate...I'm sure they can use some financial help for a long time!!

glamis_dave
06-09-2007, 12:36 AM
samuel that is a great idea......will do.....sorry guys halfto carry on without me this time....shard of steel in my eye the other day...removed...still blurry....got bilked out if 800.00 from a dead beat....lost alot of sleep........caulght a terrable cold and feel like dieing......on other words im totally shot out.....ill send along something....love dave

mattymx
06-09-2007, 09:39 PM
The event started a little slow but it really got moving around 1PM. Thank you Swanee and Hoss for making the drive and hanging out for a while. Ben showed up for about an hour from 3-4PM and was in good spirits. There were tons of his friends there when he arrived and all in attandence clapped for 5 minutes. it was awesome. I told Perry I will be bringing him a little something from SoCAPS next week. He looked at me and siad I have some great friends. I told him I know WE do...

Hoss350
06-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Glad it was a success matty, it was good to see all the support, and see you and swanee as well.

Hoss

BilletGarage
06-10-2007, 01:39 AM
The event started a little slow but it really got moving around 1PM. Thank you Swanee and Hoss for making the drive and hanging out for a while. Ben showed up for about an hour from 3-4PM and was in good spirits. There were tons of his friends there when he arrived and all in attandence clapped for 5 minutes. it was awesome. I told Perry I will be bringing him a little something from SoCAPS next week. He looked at me and siad I have some great friends. I told him I know WE do...

Awesome to hear! Sounds like a good time and so glad to hear Ben made the event! Looking forward to hearing about his continuing recovery.

Blessings to you for stepping up to the plate for Ben and his family. They are fortunate to have people like you in their lives.

Swanee
06-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Seemed like things were just beginning to really pick up when we had to leave. Glad things went well. I'll bet it really helped when Ben saw all of the support......that kind of thing can work wonders! By the way Hoss, did you get that changed out?

RvRWill
06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Matt,

I have not been around but i just wanted to say that its mighty cool of you to put all this together. The bounds of friendship are rarley stretched but when it was you were there for a friend in need. I am sorry i couldnt make it. I hope for the best.