PDA

View Full Version : Video of a 08 6.4 Throwing Flames.

DieselTech
03-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Holy Smokes!!! Some is definately wrong with the engine on this one.....listen to the engine noise.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-07-01.php

mattymx
03-24-2007, 05:30 AM
You have to be kidding me. That is horrible. That is a really bad thing to say the least.

POWERSTROKEMIKE
03-24-2007, 08:06 AM
like how all the mech. are just standing around watching.. :)

watersurgeon
03-24-2007, 09:37 AM
So do the 6.4 come with a set of hot dog campfire sticks?

I heard through the grapevine that if you search the Owners Manual there are some Oscar Myer coupons, printed throughout. Plus you get a box of Ketchup and Mustard packages tucked under the passanger seat. Just Fords way of saying thanks?

superDF350
03-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I dont even know what to say. You would think that all the miles that were tested, all those engines, there should have been a sign of this happening. I would like to know how they tests these trucks because this should have happened while testing.

ryanPSD
03-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I wonder what causes that, at the very end of the video it looked like it was blowing blue smoke.

I wonder if it is some sort of oil leak, leaking into the exhaust and burning from the heat during the regen process maybe? :confused:

bigrpowr
03-24-2007, 12:20 PM
i believe its a stuck injector. god what a mess!

mattymx
03-24-2007, 01:12 PM
That will leave a mark if you walk in front of it. I think I would prefer to walk around the other side.

watersurgeon
03-24-2007, 09:04 PM
I wonder what causes that, at the very end of the video it looked like it was blowing blue smoke.

I wonder if it is some sort of oil leak, leaking into the exhaust and burning from the heat during the regen process maybe? :confused:

After the Cat there is a reactor filter. This filter is designed to trap Carbon deposits caused by the cat.

When the Reactor filter becomes clogged it creates back pressure, which is sensed by a pressure switch. When the reactor filter becomes too clogged fuel is injected into the reacotr vie a secondary fuel line to an injector.

The theory is if they add fuel, "to the fire", the cat will light the fuel and it will burn in the reactor, causing the carbon to burn down too an ash.

Take a few minutes and read all my posts on this, so you can have a better idea of the FUBAR they created.

ryanPSD
03-25-2007, 10:40 AM
I did and I know how the exhaust on the 6.4 works, but I don't think the flame happens every time these trucks go through the process of cleaning the filter (correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed to me at least that's what you were implying). :confused:

From what I gather the temps coming out the tailpipe just get a lot hotter, and that the flame is just something seriously wrong, like possibly a stuck injector as mentioned above.

Tom
03-26-2007, 08:59 AM
That truck sounds like it has a bad injector.

Figure 100 trucks tested 100,000 miles. Then build 37,000 of them on an assembly line (fridays and monday's included). A couple are going to have problems.

The programming "recall" that they are putting out is to address IF (IF!) there is a mechanical fault with the engine, this flame scenario won't happen. (e.g. to mitigate the "flamethrower" fire/liability concern)

D, C, and Ford all have these new particulate filters. Any of them with an injector (or bad turbo) is going to flood the filter with fuel and cause this condition. It's a sign of the times.

If you don't have any engine problems, you're not going to get flames.

Can anyone but me here that injector??

DieselTech
03-26-2007, 09:54 AM
the engine is knocking away pretty bad in the video.

Tom
03-26-2007, 10:23 AM
the engine is knocking away pretty bad in the video.

Sounds like an injector to me.
The video camera mic amplifies that sound range very well, as you probably know.

mattymx
03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
The video is gone....:bigshock:

hotstik
03-27-2007, 05:21 PM
New link:

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-07-01.php

deb0650
03-28-2007, 10:22 PM
That's some bad ass stuff. How do I mod mine to make it do that on demand? I saw the batmobile when I was a kid and always loved the flames. Imagine pulling up next to the little Toyota Prius and spouting out some flames!

THE DON
03-29-2007, 02:01 PM
That is just great. Godo job FORD. This really show how well you know and test your products before you sell them to the public. The recalls stop order was also awesome! Way to go FORD. You are going to be the #1 car company that starts wild fires in the US.

That engine had to have been jacked up but still to have a 2 foot flame out the side it not safe.

Billet Badges
03-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Here is another link to the video on another site in case the first link goes away.

http://break.com/index/ford_recalls_trucks.html

Tom
03-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Do you think any Chevy or Dodge diesel with an injector problem or turbo seal problem isn't going to have the same thing happen?

The DPF burns HOT HOT HOT. Any extra combustibles in there are going to be burned one way or another.

I'll bring the marshmallows.

12mpg
09-27-2008, 05:15 PM
people pay big money to throw flames out the tailpipe like that...think of it as a free bonus feature for your new truck.

Thumperer
09-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Thts got be a new record. A year and a half old post (lol).