PDA

View Full Version : chains its time

watersurgeon
11-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Heads up.

For you guys that have thought about mountain driving in the snow and doing some off roading in the the snow, now is the time to buy those chains. Walmart has just got there shippment in of large tire chains. Around $66.00. You probably will never need them, but they get you through local chain control when they want to see them.

Hoss350 this means you. LOL

bobsquatch
11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
I've had mine for 10 years now, although I wouldn't set foot in a wal mart personally. Bought them at ORW for my 89 E350 2WD with 33 inch by 16.5 tires. Never used them. Bought my truck and put on 295/75R16's and the chains fit. Used them for the first time last winter and they fit great and give you a lot of traction when your rig weighs 20,000lbs in the snow covered mountain roads. Just knowing you have them is worth the price when you travel with your family.

superDF350
11-13-2006, 10:09 PM
If anyone is looking for chains i have a connection on them. You know ive lived in Big Bear all my life and never owned a set that fit.:o maybe it is time.

Jfresh
11-14-2006, 09:17 AM
I hate chains. I find it ironic that when your out in Oregon or Colorado you can drive hundreds of miles on roads that have enough snow on them that your diff is dragging. We get a little slush on the way to mammoth or big bear, the chp won't let you pass unless you spent $100 bucks on chains you'll never use. What ever happened to personal responsibility. I know how my truck handles when it is slick, so I drive appropriatly. All chains do anyways is mess up your truck. The chp needs to get their heads on straight and not worry about experienced drivers with 4x4's, how about those idiots who continue to do 65 mph in their "luxury suv's" with "full Time four wheel drive" and then you come around the turn and their burried head first in the snow bank wondering why the salesman told them that their car is great for the snow.

evandobias
11-14-2006, 09:30 AM
I lived in mammoth for a while and never once needed any chains but have seen my share of accidents from the idiots in their luxury suv's that think because they put chains on, or since their car has 4wheeldrive that they are somehow invinsible... but now that I think about it I really should just spend the $$ and buy some damn chains

watersurgeon
11-14-2006, 03:10 PM
I hate chains. I find it ironic that when your out in Oregon or Colorado you can drive hundreds of miles on roads that have enough snow on them that your diff is dragging. We get a little slush on the way to mammoth or big bear, the chp won't let you pass unless you spent $100 bucks on chains you'll never use. What ever happened to personal responsibility. I know how my truck handles when it is slick, so I drive appropriatly. All chains do anyways is mess up your truck. The chp needs to get their heads on straight and not worry about experienced drivers with 4x4's, how about those idiots who continue to do 65 mph in their "luxury suv's" with "full Time four wheel drive" and then you come around the turn and their burried head first in the snow bank wondering why the salesman told them that their car is great for the snow.

I can appreciate your position. However, I have driven in various mountain roads both here in the US and throughout the Alps and I have found local SoCal mt roads to be some of the most dangerous in the winter.

Personally I would rather have the CHP force everyone without a 4x4 with M&S tires to chain up, which is what they normally do.

2 years ago hwy 18 between Snow Valley and the Big Bear Dam got congested with some 300 vehicles on a friday night due to the fact that chain controls were not in place at the right time. It started with a group of guys that thought they knew how to drive in snow spinning out and then causing a minor couple of vehicle fender benders. However because everyone else had the same invincible mentality that they too knew how to drive in snow, created a 300 car pile up in both directions. Rescue crews could not even get in. They ended up shutting down every road into the Mtns, and then bringing in a specializied search and rescue team with CATS located in Angelus Oaks, hwy 38. It took a week to remove all the cars and clean up the mess.

I seen more accidents snow related on hwy 330, 18, 38 and 395 (bishop to Mammoth) then anywhere else in the world I have driven.

Last year on the way down from one of our 4x4 snow trips on hwy 38, we found a bus that had slid into a volvo and basically shut down all up hill traffic.

But the best wrecks are always the suvs and big 4x4 trucks driving the Bishop grade at 65-75 mph in a snow storm. I have been driving that route since around 1976 I can honestly say I have seen more then my share blood and guts wrecks.

There are some dicey areas on all these hwys, but the majority of the problem is the drivers from socal.

mattymx
11-14-2006, 05:18 PM
It is just all you dang FLAT LANDERS that cause all the problems on bad roads.:slap: Learn to drive!!!!!;)