PDA

View Full Version : Locking Rear End

watersurgeon
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Over the last couple years of off roading in serious snow conditions I have to the conclusion that I need a locking rear end.

So my question is has anyone installed them, for example the Detroit Electrac unit or similiar?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hoss350
10-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Are you telling me the sand bags aren't working anymore!! That day was a blast, what a different world 4x4 ing in the snow versus the sand or dirt,and everytime I see all the scratches in the side of
my truck, I remember the time in the snow. LOL

watersurgeon
11-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Are you telling me the sand bags aren't working anymore!! That day was a blast, what a different world 4x4 ing in the snow versus the sand or dirt,and everytime I see all the scratches in the side of
my truck, I remember the time in the snow. LOL

The day before we all went up there, Frank and I took his H2 up the same trail and blazed it once we figured the locking rear dif. That was the closer for me. Since we all took that day trip I had to go up to the Northern Sierras on bz. in some pretty miserable snow storms. The 1,000 lbs of sand in the back were a great help but a full locking rear would have been much better.

About those scratches there battle ribbons, and you show them with pride.

Hey check out my thread on chains. Were going to be making several more trips this coming winter and spring, when the snow falls and we expect you and the family to join along. PM me and all hook you up with a wholesale winter clothes shop for you guys located in Santa Ana, and yes all lone you my mountainering boots again. lol

PS. Cheri says she won't settle for anything but yes.

K5Cruiser
11-15-2006, 05:41 PM
So my question is has anyone installed them, for example the Detroit Electrac unit or similiar?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I was thinking about this just yesterday. I'm getting ready for the snow and figured that the Electrac unit would be better than an ARB since the Electrac acts like a limited slip when it is not powered on.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some feedback on this topic.

desertwheeler
11-15-2006, 09:56 PM
well the only problem i could see with running a locker in the snow your rear end will like to fishtale alot, my pathfinder has a locked rear and with wet roads it was very easy to kick it out not even trying, Now offroad you would never regret putting a locker in.

Hoss350
12-17-2006, 07:59 AM
well the only problem i could see with running a locker in the snow your rear end will like to fishtale alot, my pathfinder has a locked rear and with wet roads it was very easy to kick it out not even trying, Now offroad you would never regret putting a locker in.

No, he's talking in the SNOW SNOW, we went out on a trip and in about 3 feet of snow. Was pretty cool, the one enviornment where I have to say I was dang impressed with those hummers and there lockable diffs. I would also love to get one of these units. I was looking at the arb air locker system. Looks like a good unit, and one of my buddies has it, and said it works pretty good. I'm tired of being 2 wheel drive.

LovesDunes
12-22-2006, 11:35 PM
I have lockers front and rear. Love them. The rear end kicks out a bit but it's controlable.

SoCalSuperDuty03
02-24-2007, 11:16 AM
I agree with LovesDunes, I wouldn't have a truck w/o a locker, whether snow, sand, mud, or climbing. And as far as hanging the rearend out, if you have room to swing it around w/o treeing the bed, just stand in the throttle and enjoy it!

Tim

bigrpowr
02-24-2007, 01:33 PM
just put my locker in on wed and love it. wish i would have done it a long time ago!

desertwheeler
02-24-2007, 04:01 PM
What kind?

bigrpowr
02-25-2007, 01:09 PM
detroit. but not the full time locker. the one that releases when off the throttle.

Hoss350
04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't want a full time unit either, I would imagine that would make mileage a bit nasty with our trucks. One you can engage and disengage at will, is what I would definately be interested in.