PDA

View Full Version : chip is in

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 01:14 AM
:yay:service engine soon light is on now that i have the chip in. I also have the theft light that flashes for a while after i start driving. WHATS UP WITH THAT ?:yay:

hotstik
08-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Whose chip are you running?

When did the SES light come on? What were you doing with the truck when it lit up?

Typical codes thrown by chips are caused by overboost or low hpop pressure.

Your PATS light is flashing because you have a chip with older programming. It's my understanding that all newer programming (at least DP-Tuner's) has been modified to prevent the PATS light from flashing at you.

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 08:01 PM
:yay:Beans i talked to Chris there and he told me that the theft light was that the chip and the computer where not liking each other. the service engine soon light was do to the amount of raw fuel that was now going in to the motor now. But that if i could live with it it was doing no harm to the engine. Just looking for a second opinion on this. But this thing is so much fun now . All the guys down on the docks are asking me what i have done to my truck. I just tell them its a 7.3 turbo with a few mods thats all.:yay:

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Whose chip are you running?

When did the SES light come on? What were you doing with the truck when it lit up?

Typical codes thrown by chips are caused by overboost or low hpop pressure.

Your PATS light is flashing because you have a chip with older programming. It's my understanding that all newer programming (at least DP-Tuner's) has been modified to prevent the PATS light from flashing at you.

:yay:Beans is who i got the chip from. The SES light came on the first time i got in it after putting the chip in it and it has not gone off yet. What is the PATS light ? I have a theft light on is that the same ? I still need to put the turbo upgrade in {1.0 exhaust housing kit with the wicked wheel} I'm waiting for a new boost gauge to come back form Beans it got a nice ding in it form shipping. When i get that back i'll have all the gauges and pod put in.:yay:

bigrpowr
08-17-2006, 08:39 PM
beans ? he does tuning? i wouldn't trust it.

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 08:51 PM
beans ? he does tuning? i wouldn't trust it.Ok and why is that ?

hotstik
08-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Bummer :mad: ... Bean's Diesel stikes again.

The bottom line is that your SES light should not be on. If the light came on immediately upon starting the truck after the chip install, it could be two things:
1.) The contacts on the PCM board are not clean enough.
2.) You do not have the correct programming for your truck.

Chris should have told you this. The fact that your PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) light is flashing says there is a high likelyhood that you have the wrong programs.

More than likely Bean sent you an old (defective) TS six position chip with pirated DP-Tuner programs. Bean doesn't do tuning (at least anything that is reputed to work).

Additionally, the fact that your SES light is on means that there is some sort of issue that needs to be attended to. If it's something minor like overboost or uncontrollable ICP (P1211), then your engine is defueling, and you are not getting the performance you paid for. The fact that you have both SES and PATS lights is worrisome. As soon as possible you need to have your codes checked.

If it was me, I'd pull the chip out, and hope that it hasn't done any permanent damage.

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Bummer :mad: ... Bean's Diesel stikes again.

The bottom line is that your SES light should not be on. If the light came on immediately upon starting the truck after the chip install, it could be two things:
1.) The contacts on the PCM board are not clean enough.
2.) You do not have the correct programming for your truck.

Chris should have told you this. The fact that your PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) light is flashing says there is a high likelyhood that you have the wrong programs.

More than likely Bean sent you an old (defective) TS six position chip with pirated DP-Tuner programs. Bean doesn't do tuning (at least anything that is reputed to work).

Additionally, the fact that your SES light is on means that there is some sort of issue that needs to be attended to. If it's something minor like overboost or uncontrollable ICP (P1211), then your engine is defueling, and you are not getting the performance you paid for. The fact that you have both SES and PATS lights is worrisome. As soon as possible you need to have your codes checked.

If it was me, I'd pull the chip out, and hope that it hasn't done any permanent damage. BIG 10-4 ON THAT I'M PULLING THE CHIP TONIGHT.

hotstik
08-17-2006, 09:05 PM
As far as chips go, you best option is to get a genuine DP-Tuner chip from Jody Tipton. His new chips are 100% compatible with Excursions with PATS.

link: www.dp-tuner.com (http://www.dp-tuner.com)

ryanPSD
08-17-2006, 09:28 PM
I spoke some to Robert on the phone and it sounds like the lights came on only after getting on it in the extreme setting... Here's my thinking:

If it were low ICP or overboost:
It doesn't sound like ICP since he thinks it came on pretty quickly, while still gettin' on it in second gear. I know the AD injectors can suck up oil with a hot chip alone but I don't think it would happen that quickly?
So that makes me lean towards overboost. How much boost can you guys make on a stock chipped setup like that? Unfortunately he doesn't have gauges just yet. I know I can pretty much peg my boost gauge in second gear even if for just a split second since it winds up so fast, so I'm sure even in that low gear he can still make near his max possible boost which is probably enough to set a SES light due to overboost, you think?

BUT, My main question and concern is... shouldn't the light(s) go away after shutting down the engine and restarting it?
Or does it have to be cleared (even if the code remains) with a code reader or something? I would think it will clear itself. I know my PCM is different than the 99+ trucks but it does clear lights on mine when restarting the ignition. I set my low ICP all the time but my truck also won't defuel/set a light on overboost either.

I'm not disagreeing that there may be a problem with the programming, or saying that it's okay, but...

Given that, for now I think the plan is he's going to disconnect the batteries for a while and see if the lights are cleared. Then take it easy on that program and carefully drive it harder and see what will set the lights, if that is the case. Even though it does sound like something in the programming should be preventing this while it may still be running the motor safe and sound.

Unless someone thinks otherwise?

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 09:46 PM
yep that about the just of it im just looking for any and all help i know all of you a very knowledgeable in all the areas. so i have great confidence in getting this fixed. THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP.

hotstik
08-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Ryan's reccomendations are right on, and the SES light for overboost should go away after a while.

However, with the latest programming and new generation of chips that are available, there's absolutely no reason why he should have to be dealing with the PATS light issue. Furthermore, I can't fathom how Bean's Diesel could tell him that it's totally okay to drive around with the SES light on.

ryanPSD
08-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Should the light (normally) go/remain off when turning the motor off and back on? :confused: How are they normally cleared?

weweld
08-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Depends if it is a hard or soft code
Soft codes clear after a few restarts
Hard codes need to be cleared with a code reader
I will bring my code reader Sunday if you can make it.

hotstik
08-17-2006, 10:07 PM
The SES light for Overboost will go out after a few drive cycles (approx. 5). Or It should go out if you unhook the batteries for like 30 minutes.

Does deadrock have some sort of boost fooler or blow-off valve? If not, overboost will be a continuing annoyance - regardless of what chip he is running.

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 10:13 PM
The SES light for Overboost will go out after a few drive cycles (approx. 5). Or It should go out if you unhook the batteries for like 30 minutes.

Does deadrock have some sort of boost fooler or blow-off valve? If not, overboost will be a continuing annoyance - regardless of what chip he is running.i have the batteries unhooked. cleaning the connections to see if that had any difference. i do not have a boost fooler yet i will get one if you tell me where to get it i have know idea.

ryanPSD
08-17-2006, 10:13 PM
I see, thanks for clearing that up. I wondered because I know my truck will clear the light (but not the code I hear, as it could still be read) on each cycle.

Every time I see one next chance I get I'll clear it real quick just to keep track, I think I counted seven CELs pulling my toyhauler to Pismo the other weekend, and that was taking it easy. I think I have a weak HPOP ;) You should have seen me trying to go over the grapevine (I-5) with that thing behind me. :rofll:

Anyway that is a separate issue, no he doesn't have a regulator/blowoff valve/etc on the map line. I think that will be needed regardless, as you said. I have one but apparently I don't need it as earlier trucks won't defuel or set a light on too much boost.

ryanPSD
08-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Here (http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=31) is what I have Robert. :)

hotstik
08-17-2006, 10:16 PM
I have an extra blow off valve that you can have. If you are going to be at Castaic on Sunday, I'll give it to you then.

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 10:21 PM
I have an extra blow off valve that you can have. If you are going to be at Castaic on Sunday, I'll give it to you then.See thats what im talking about you all are so fast to help out its overwheling.I will be there on sunday for sure.

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 10:22 PM
I have an extra blow off valve that you can have. If you are going to be at Castaic on Sunday, I'll give it to you then.Just let me know how much for the valve hotstick.

hotstik
08-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Free!

ryanPSD
08-17-2006, 10:26 PM
There ya go, can't beat that service right there! :waytogo:

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Free!:yay::not_ripe::peace::bigshock:WOW I'll need a few days to come up with all that free money. BUT REALY thats way cool bro i can't thank you enough.:bigshock::peace::not_ripe::yay:

deadrock69
08-17-2006, 11:08 PM
ok im back from test drive the sevice engine soon light is not a problem as of now but ill drive it a little more and see. i got on it a little so i still can get on it a lot more but ill take it easy at first and see whats what. the theift light is still flashing fast afeter i start it and drive then it gose out for a few and then flashes a little slower and gose out for a while and just keeps doing it all over and over ect.

deadrock69
08-18-2006, 03:38 PM
:banghead:Well i have had it on the freeway and the light came on when i was on it pretty hard. so im thinking its the over boost. the theft light is still on. Ill wait to see whats up on Sunday .:banghead:

deadrock69
08-19-2006, 03:13 PM
ok now i have a overdrive off light flashing also. i have puller the chip out and will not be putting it back. it also feels like the trans dose not want to go into 2nd gear. now this sounds like it may be a bad thing ? :angry::banghead:

hotstik
08-19-2006, 04:04 PM
I see a visit to John Wood in your future.

The flashing OD light is typically a sign that something in the trans has let go and that the trans has gone into limp mode.

If your rig can make it to Castaic tomorrow, there are a few of us that can give you a better idea of what's going on.

deadrock69
08-19-2006, 04:47 PM
THE TRNS WAS REDONE BY DON KOTT AT 83643. I have the invoice for it the truck only had 93000 on it when i bought it and now i have 99265. is there a way to reset the trans or clear the codes for now ?

hotstik
08-19-2006, 04:55 PM
It is possible to clear the codes stored in your pcm. I will have my laptop with AE software with me tomorrow, and I can check/clear the codes for you.

However, it is unlikely that clearing the codes will help your trans. It is very, very common for a Ford rebuilt 4R100 trans to grenade only a few miles after install.

deadrock69
08-19-2006, 04:57 PM
It is possible to clear the codes stored in your pcm. I will have my laptop with AE software with me tomorrow, and I can check/clear the codes for you.

However, it is unlikely that clearing the codes will help your trans. It is very, very common for a Ford rebuilt 4R100 trans to grenade only a few miles after install.ok so can i have then pay for a new one ?

hotstik
08-19-2006, 06:22 PM
I spoke with Robert on the phone, and it sounds like his trans issues were likely caused by his chip.

The chip he has is a 6-position TS labeled chip from Bean's. It's not clear if it has TS programming, Bean's programming, or something else. However, it was causing his trans to shift harshly. In fact, it was shifting so violently that when just driving around town, the tires were chirping when the trans shifted. His trans shifted totally fine before installing the chip.

He's got 3.73's with 35" tires, and I know from experience that it is extremely difficult to cause that combo to chirp on shifts. Additionally, that kind of treatment of a stock trans can't be good for it. Is it possible that he has grenaded his trans after only a few days of driving on the bad programming? Or could there be another issue at work here?

On Edit: I just got a message from Robert saying that his trans pretty much let go completely on the way back to his house. I guess he barely made it home.

IDK
08-19-2006, 10:08 PM
So theres another thanks to Beans I see. This really SUCKS .
Roger

deadrock69
08-19-2006, 10:15 PM
who you tellin' ? im going to try and clean the sensor in the rear diff.

hotstik
08-19-2006, 11:04 PM
VSS Failure? It's worth a try, but I've never heard of one causing the severity of shifting symptoms you described. Also, when the VSS dies it usually causes your speedo to stop working

ryanPSD
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM
However, it is unlikely that clearing the codes will help your trans. It is very, very common for a Ford rebuilt 4R100 trans to grenade only a few miles after install.

I thought I heard the only good thing about a Ford rebuild is the warranty, because you will use it. I wonder if it is still under warranty, if there was one at all?

Man...

deadrock69
08-21-2006, 01:46 PM
:yay:I'm going to look in to going that route also if i have to but then i'll be back with the stock trans.:yay: