PDA

View Full Version : tranny running hot!

infantry032003
06-16-2006, 01:45 PM
in So. Cal it is bout 95 F and one thing i noticed is that my tranny is getting hotter very quickly. according to my Banks Trans Temp Gauge my tranny temp is running @ 200F. I noticed it today when i turned on my rig on at around 0800 in the morning and my tranny temp slowly started rising (quicker than usual). At 0800 the temp outside was around 80 F already. Also, i noticed that when i accelerate my temp goes up bout 5 degrees and then comes back down to 200 F. Could it be the weather or something w/ my engine?

thanks you all

hotstik
06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm assuming that you have an automatic...

Hot weather can definitely influence your trans temp. The radiant heat from the road surface will cause your trans temp to go up as it heats the oil in the trans pan. Also, the stock trans cooler for the 7.3L is embarrassingly small. Most guys that make their trans work hard on a regular basis will add a second trans cooler, a V10 trans cooler, or a trans cooler off the 6.0.

So, it's not unusual to see your trans temp climb more quickly when it's hot out.

Also...

Is your trans shifting normally? How many miles are on it?

And...

Some performance chips/tuners for the 7.3 will add power but make no adjustments to your trans to compensate for this higher power level (the Banks Six-Gun is an example of this). Lack of proper trans tuning WILL shorten the life of your trans and make it run hotter.

infantry032003
06-16-2006, 03:12 PM
yes i have an auto trans. when driving sometimes while i am driving "normally" my rig kicks a lil' hard when going from 1st gear to 2nd gear. I have bout 77,000+ miles on my truck. what if i get a Banks TransCommand or something similar? will that help? instead of Banks is there something similar to the transcommand? but other than that, my truck is normal? it stays on the green, so i should be fine, right?

thanks again,

hotstik

really appreciat it!

mattymx
06-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I would first change the fluid to synthetic if you are running regular. I have told a few friends of minr to do this and they came back saying the trans runs far cooler. I run only Amsoil.

infantry032003
06-18-2006, 12:38 PM
I would first change the fluid to synthetic if you are running regular. I have told a few friends of minr to do this and they came back saying the trans runs far cooler. I run only Amsoil.
I live in So. Cal and believe it or not I have not found a dealer close to Ontario that sells Amsoil products, do you know of any dealers that do sell Amsoil products? I have seen dealers w/ Redline and Royal Purple synthetic products, but i hear Amsoil is the best choice, do you agree, or should i go w/ the other synthetic companies?

mattymx
06-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I will only run Amsoil in my trans. Call Bob Riley... He sells it at his cost. There is no better deal.
888-414-3454

hotstik
06-18-2006, 03:44 PM
If you are going to change out your ATF, remember that you need to use MERCON/DEXRON-III type ATF regardless of whether or not it's synthetic. Neither Mercon-V nor any other type of ATF is okay to run in your trans. Dual rated ATF's are bad too (like Mercon/Mercon-V).

Like mattymx said, if you are going to go with Amsoil ATF, Bob Riley at www.dieselsite.com (http://www.dieselsite.com) is definitely the guy to get it from.

Towelie420
06-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Synthetic is always a great way to go. I've heard that optimal range for these trannys is 185-205. If your getting above 205 then go with a cooler. If not leave it alone. Running to cold is not good for your trans either.