PDA

View Full Version : Performance Tuning Modules

Scott
12-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Any suggestions on which one to purchase for the '05?

Billet Badges
12-06-2004, 04:22 PM
I am running the Quadzilla 160 in my '03. It is really fast, but will you will get some weird shifts on the high HP mode.

I heard that the Superchips programmer is the only programmer out that controls the transmission as well as the engine. I haven't tried it, so I can't tell you much about it, but Woodman can.

BrianC
12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I would suggest the SCT tuner strictly for the transmission shift programming. You can have 3 different tranny tunes built into the programmer. Test all 3 and use the one you want. Then add the power module of your choice. The top 3 seem to be Quad, Edge, and TS Performance (not in any specific order). This way you'll get good shifting and a module with at least 3 shift-on-the-fly power settings.

Brian

Samuel1941
12-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Scott........

Being as you are a new member, I don't know how much you know about modifications, Ford, International, and warranty.

Being new and with a new truck, I want to be sure you don't do something you may regret later. At our last meeting, Bobby Williams (Director of Fleet Sales, Sunrise Ford) told us that Ford and International were looking into major diesel engine repair (6.0 engine) for modifications with the intent of voiding the warranty.

As I see them, there are four groups of people who modify their trucks even though the warranty may get voided.
1. People who don't know what the warranty says.
2. People who are willing to gamble the odds of getting caught.
3. People who don't care and can afford the cost of repairs without a warranty.
4. People who are past the warranty period.

People will tell you that Ford/International can't tell if you've had a chip/programmer if you disconnect the batteries, or drive 100 miles, or whatever. My sources tell me that they can tell with the 6.0 engine...and, I believe them.

Yeah, I had a programmer, intake and exhaust on my 2000 7.3 and liked it. http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/smile.gif (Group #2 above)
But, with my new 2005 6.0, it has plenty of power and shifts great, so I'm leaving it stock. A new 6.0 engine costs somewhere about $15,000 (plus or minus a few thousand) and I'm not willing to take the chance.

I know, I'm no fun...and members will disagree with me! http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/blush.gif
But I wanted you to have both sides of the modification deal so you can make an informed decision!! http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/cool.gif

Hoss350
12-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Man you just made me real nervous, with that post, are there any warranties with the performance chip companies? I mean do they really thrash your engine? Are they that bad? I can't imagine them selling products that kill motors.They wouldn't be in business very long.

Tom
12-06-2004, 09:58 PM
I can't imagine them selling products that kill motors.They wouldn't be in business very long.

NOS.
Kills motors all the time.
it's like crack for HP junkies.

http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/smile.gif
-T

Scott
12-07-2004, 05:35 AM
Thanks again, everyone, for the great information.

Hoss350
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
I had nitrous on my honda and knew how to use it, the amount of nitrous is also controlled by the user, so that is user error. A programmer is already set at certain levels.They are either on or off. accept for stacking and again that is user error.

Tom
12-07-2004, 07:05 PM
I had nitrous on my honda and knew how to use it, the amount of nitrous is also controlled by the user, so that is user error. A programmer is already set at certain levels.They are either on or off. accept for stacking and again that is user error.

The user error with a programmer is the user's right foot!
Even with mild settings, it's possible to do some damage if you don't have gauges.

My advice is to stay stock for about 10k miles (should be just a few months for you!).

Then decide if you need extra power.
-T

Hoss350
12-07-2004, 07:18 PM
ha ha you know what's funny, I already have 10,000 miles on my truck. I go camping and to glamis quite a bit, it's breakin my heart but I love to camp and ride.

SoCalDavis
12-07-2004, 08:08 PM
My advice is to stay stock for about 10k miles (should be just a few months for you!).

OH MAN!!!....I only have around 5k on mine, and I put the Banks six gun with the speedloader.... should I continue to totally baby my truck for another few thousand???

Tom
12-07-2004, 09:13 PM

OH MAN!!!....I only have around 5k on mine, and I put the Banks six gun with the speedloader.... should I continue to totally baby my truck for another few thousand???

You don't need to baby it, but it will continue to break in until...well...until it's broken in.

If you never tow or haul heavy, you'll take longer to break in.
I feel that my 2000 model broke in somewhere around 17000 miles. It was only after I towed my boat up and down some hills and to the river a few times that I felt that it loosened up and had full power.

I feel my 04 broke in after towing Weweld's trailer up to livermore to pick up a blazer and spare parts.

You're not going to flatten a cam or anything, so...really nothing to worrry about. Just that the truck is pretty fast for using as...well..a truck http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/smile.gif

10k miles and you get used to it.

If you need more power, go ahead and add away. But, as DandSpro says...you wanna play..you gotta pay.

Use common sense and you should be ok (aka...watch that right foot)

SoCalDavis
12-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the info Tom!!

JandDPerformance
01-08-2005, 05:02 PM
we sell the quad 160's, and have had great success. MAXRSMART, sounds like you haven't finished the learning procedure. This is extremely important on these. Our truck shifts perfect, and gets driven in the highest setting all the time!