PDA

View Full Version : What is this sound from the turbo???

mattymx
09-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Hey all... New to this neck of the site... I just got a 2002 PSD Excursion and have a question about what I think is a weak wastegate. It has a Volant cold air intake system just so you know. Sometimes at mild throttle, I hear a "WHOOOSHING" sound. I also hear it as soon as I let off the throttle. That is the wastegate operating, right??? If that is what it is, I think it is opening too soon. I plan on getting a boost gauge and pyrometer for it and maybe that will show me. Can I disable the W/G somehow to see if that is what it is??? Any other ideas on what it could be??? I know the first generation PSD well, but this is my first SD PSD. I also think it is safe to say it is not turbo surge. It sounds like an exhaust brake?!?! Thanks guys.

Matt

Big Red PSD CC
09-20-2004, 08:57 PM
The noise you hear when you let off the throttle isn't uncommon. Its just that the turbo is at full boost, pistons hauling A$$, and then all of the sudden the pistons slow down, but the turbo is still spinning, so what happens is that air backed up back out the intake.

As for disabled, unplug the red line to the wastegate and plug the end on to a intercooler boot clamp bolt.

Your turbo isn't make a "wooooooing" noise is it?? Its only a "whoosh" noise????

IDK
09-21-2004, 09:07 AM
I don't think its your waste gate you here its the unused pressure back flowing through to turbo, I have my waste gate blocked with a pipe plug and it still dose it (you should here it when you lift at 35 lbs of boost) and a open element air filter amplifies the sound . http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/usa.gif Roger

mattymx
09-21-2004, 04:18 PM
So I take it, it is not a problem then... I hope not..

StickyFingers
09-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Not a problem. You should hear mine when I stomp on it. When it shifts it's loud. I have an ATS (Gene built) intake, and a stock exhaust. I get lots of air in and not much out(for now).

Sheryl http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/usa.gif