PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Lifting my SD

Lucy06
07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey All, I haven’t been on in ages.
I need some advice. I don’t really know anything about lifting a truck, about the parts and things like when I have to worry about geometry and stuff.
The reason for the lift is ground clearance to give me just a little more access in the backwoods and open up some options for larger tires.
I have no intention of doing serious trails or crawling. I am thinking 4” (MAX) plus a couple inches from larger tires ought to be more than enough. I just want to have some “Just In Case” Clearance and tires for hunting this winter.
I could care less about name brands. I just want a solid, stout and reliable piece of kit that will work well on the freeway too because that is where the majority of the driving will still be.
P.S. Like most of you I don’t have a ton of cash just lying around.
P.S.S. I don't think I want a full mudder tire but does anyone have experience with an aggressive ALL TERRAIN that performs well in mud...10 ply perhaps?

So this is a long shot but I will take a stab. My buddy and I were scouting D11 a little bit over the 4th weekend. We were headed to Alamo Mountain just south of Frazier Park. We really wanted to set up camp at the Cottonwood or sunset Campground I beleive it was which was at the in country side of the Miller Jeep Trail and the Lockwood Creek OHV trail. Well we knew we had no chance of getting up the Miller Trail in a stock 4wd F-150. But we were told that the hardest part of the Lockwood trail is a rock obstacle just about 100 feet up the trail and if you could pass that the rest was cake. After hiking up and looking there wasn't enough margin of error to be comfortable trying to get over( Idon't think we would have cleared).

So Long story Long, if anyone is familiar with this trail or area, what is the minimum amount of lift and tire I would need to get over the first rock out crop on the Lockwood Creek OHV trail. this is basically what I am using as reference for my build. I don't want to drive up there and get turned around again.

dezzrats
07-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Get a 2.5" leveling kit (Icon Vehicle Dynamics), get an aftermarket steering stabilizer kit that is parallel to the axle (single or dual), get a set of 17x9" or 18x9" wheels with a load rating of 3400 lbs or better, get a good set of AT tires no taller than 35" and E rated. Get an alinement with lots of + caster angle.

Save the rest of your money for 6L stuff from Bullet Proof Performance.

This will get you the offroad performance you want, save you the money and PIA of some "lift kit" and keep your truck capable to haul and tow.

been there done that......my $0.02 worth.

Lucy06
07-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Get a 2.5" leveling kit (Icon Vehicle Dynamics), get an aftermarket steering stabilizer kit that is parallel to the axle (single or dual), get a set of 17x9" or 18x9" wheels with a load rating of 3400 lbs or better, get a good set of AT tires no taller than 35" and E rated. Get an alinement with lots of + caster angle.

Save the rest of your money for 6L stuff from Bullet Proof Performance.

This will get you the offroad performance you want, save you the money and PIA of some "lift kit" and keep your truck capable to haul and tow.

been there done that......my $0.02 worth.

Thanks for the input. I have a couple of follow up questions;
1. Are there any Socal shops that could set me up with all of these parts? Would 4 wheel parts be able to line me up with this setup?
2. What am I gaining with new wheels? Are my stock 17's not strong enough or...
3. Does the leveling kit lift the fron and rear equally? My truck is currently sitting level and I like the stance. Will I need new shocks?

Thanks! Sorry, like I said I know nothing about lifts especially when I want the lift without sacrificing my current performance.

dezzrats
07-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the input. I have a couple of follow up questions;
1. Are there any Socal shops that could set me up with all of these parts? Would 4 wheel parts be able to line me up with this setup?
2. What am I gaining with new wheels? Are my stock 17's not strong enough or...
3. Does the leveling kit lift the fron and rear equally? My truck is currently sitting level and I like the stance. Will I need new shocks?

Thanks! Sorry, like I said I know nothing about lifts especially when I want the lift without sacrificing my current performance.

I think 4 wheel parts could do it, maybe ORU. Somewhere that could do the work and the alinement in house.
The key issue with the wheels is how wide they are. Most tires over 33" require wider than the stock 7-8" rim. You never want to run a big tire on a skinny rim, lot's of people do it but it is not safe and most tire shops will not mount a large tire on a rim that is too skinny. Check the tire spec sheet! Don't let some kid talk you into a 10" wide rim, that is too much and really watch the load ratings of the wheels, you still are working with an 8000 pound truck that can load to 10 or 13000 GVWR depending on your package.
A leveling kit just does the front, that is the main concern with a truck, the rear can be adjusted with different size blocks without too much trouble to get the proper front to rear stance.
Shocks will be required, the stock ford stuff is to soft to control larger tires and with a lift you need a little longer.

Lucy06
07-12-2011, 07:58 AM
I think 4 wheel parts could do it, maybe ORU. Somewhere that could do the work and the alinement in house.
The key issue with the wheels is how wide they are. Most tires over 33" require wider than the stock 7-8" rim. You never want to run a big tire on a skinny rim, lot's of people do it but it is not safe and most tire shops will not mount a large tire on a rim that is too skinny. Check the tire spec sheet! Don't let some kid talk you into a 10" wide rim, that is too much and really watch the load ratings of the wheels, you still are working with an 8000 pound truck that can load to 10 or 13000 GVWR depending on your package.
A leveling kit just does the front, that is the main concern with a truck, the rear can be adjusted with different size blocks without too much trouble to get the proper front to rear stance.
Shocks will be required, the stock ford stuff is to soft to control larger tires and with a lift you need a little longer.

Excellent, thanks. Would 35" tires fit on without rubbing if I were to only get a 2.5" Lift? That set up would give me about 2" more at the axle and then about 4"-5" overall. Is that about right? Oh and about the alignment with plus caster angle; is that something that a good shop would do automatically or would I need to take it somewhere else?

dezzrats
07-12-2011, 08:15 AM
My last truck was an '06 Superduty, It was a "Roll a long" package and came from the dealer with 35x12.50 tires on 17" rims with no lift. They cleared and did not rub, just looked a little strange. Then I went crazy with a 4.5" and 4-link in the front and matching blocks in the back. It looked cool but was a waste of money.

With a 2.5 leveling kit and 35 you will get about 3.5 to 4" in lift in the front. It all depends on the tires you have now on how much bigger it will look.

Lucy06
07-13-2011, 07:39 AM
My last truck was an '06 Superduty, It was a "Roll a long" package and came from the dealer with 35x12.50 tires on 17" rims with no lift. They cleared and did not rub, just looked a little strange. Then I went crazy with a 4.5" and 4-link in the front and matching blocks in the back. It looked cool but was a waste of money.

With a 2.5 leveling kit and 35 you will get about 3.5 to 4" in lift in the front. It all depends on the tires you have now on how much bigger it will look.

Can you tell me what the steering stabilizer is doing and why I would need it with a 2.5" lift? It seems something that would be needed on a 6" lift or something, but again I don't know what it is doing.

One other thing I was curious about; what is a "4 Link" system. Someone on another forum was telling me that is what I would want because they ride the best. What is it?

dezzrats
07-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Can you tell me what the steering stabilizer is doing and why I would need it with a 2.5" lift? It seems something that would be needed on a 6" lift or something, but again I don't know what it is doing.

One other thing I was curious about; what is a "4 Link" system. Someone on another forum was telling me that is what I would want because they ride the best. What is it?

The Steering stabilizer prevents many of the forces on your front tires from being transmitted to the steering wheel. The factory stabilizer is at a hard angle to the axle. Any lift or bigger tires magnifies this problem. A stock Superduty can benefit from an aftermarket stabilizer that is parallel to the axle.

A 4-link system ads a second "radius" arm to the front suspension. This allows the axle to move up and down with very small or no caster angle change. Unless you are desert racing your truck the cost of a 4-link system is not worth it. If you tow or haul big loads with your truck a 4-link system will improve the handling with little or no "ghost" steering under heavy load.
Most aftermarket 4-link systems use better pivot points than factory stuff so they move without binding like the rubber bushing on stock radius arms.

Lucy06
07-13-2011, 10:42 AM
The Steering stabilizer prevents many of the forces on your front tires from being transmitted to the steering wheel. The factory stabilizer is at a hard angle to the axle. Any lift or bigger tires magnifies this problem. A stock Superduty can benefit from an aftermarket stabilizer that is parallel to the axle.

So is the idea that if a bump or rut that make my steering whell "move" left or right would more likely make it "Jolt" with a lift and tires. Basically my steering wheel will be jerking back and forth all the time? Is That right?

dezzrats
07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes, lager tires and a lift makes the condition worse than with stock set-up. I used the Pro Comp dual stabilizer set on my 06 with good results and it was a low cost kit. The bumps and ruts on the trail are not what you need to worry about, you will be expecting these and going slow. It's that ridge or bad seam on a freeway ramp that will give you the real toss and you won't be expecting it and will be going 70 at least.

Lucy06
07-14-2011, 12:47 PM
So this is a long shot but I will take a stab. My buddy and I were scouting D11 a little bit over the 4th weekend. We were headed to Alamo Mountain just south of Frazier Park. We really wanted to set up camp at the Cottonwood or sunset Campground I beleive it was which was at the in country side of the Miller Jeep Trail and the Lockwood Creek OHV trail. Well we knew we had no chance of getting up the Miller Trail in a stock 4wd F-150. But we were told that the hardest part of the Lockwood trail is a rock obstacle just about 100 feet up the trail and if you could pass that the rest was cake. After hiking up and looking there wasn't enough margin of error to be comfortable trying to get over( Idon't think we would have cleared).

So Long story Long, if anyone is familiar with this trail or area, what is the minimum amount of lift and tire I would need to get over the first rock out crop on the Lockwood Creek OHV trail. this is basically what I am using as reference for my build. I don't want to drive up there and get turned around again.

Swanee
07-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Years ago we went to Sunset camp when the trail still followed the creek in a stock Four-Runner and it wasn't bad. A few years ago I attempted the new trail over the top with my quad and had to turn back about 3/4 of the wayup the hill on the south side of the Yellowjacket trail because of a rock face and concern of flipping over backwards. I have however watched jeeps and land rovers that didn't look much beyond stock navigate this section through binoculars.... Oh, and this area is in D13, but I think the tags are good in D11, 13, & 15. I hunted that area for years...

Lucy06
07-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Years ago we went to Sunset camp when the trail still followed the creek in a stock Four-Runner and it wasn't bad. A few years ago I attempted the new trail over the top with my quad and had to turn back about 3/4 of the wayup the hill on the south side of the Yellowjacket trail because of a rock face and concern of flipping over backwards. I have however watched jeeps and land rovers that didn't look much beyond stock navigate this section through binoculars.... Oh, and this area is in D13, but I think the tags are good in D11, 13, & 15. I hunted that area for years...

So the yellow jacket is off limits. But was it the Lockwood Creek Trail that you were saying you have seen near stock jeeps get through? That is where I want to go. From looking at it the first rock obstacle looked like a stock jeep with tires could do it but the long wheel base might just drop my cab righ on top of the rock. I was told get past that rock and you won't have issues anywhere else.

I can't believe I did it again. I know it is D13 but I can't seem to stop calling it D11. So if you have hunted it for years do you have any tips or secrets that you would be willing to share that might help me out? This is my friend and my's first year in the area and the road in from frazier park and lockwood valley is still closed so we are not getting in to scout as much as we would like. But we are commited to get some venison this year gonna do archery, rifle and the M7 muzzleloader in this area this season. If we don't get something finally I may hang up the gear. (not really but it has been a while)

Swanee
07-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Sorry this is so late, but I haven't been on in a while. The trail used to go down the creek, but they moved it to run over the top. I haven't been over it since before the day fire, it was still closed last time I tried. We once got a deer about 100 yards out of Sunset camp, and again in the gorge about a half mile upstream. If you want to talk about the area, PM me your number and a good time and I'll call. Don't post it on the open forum.

Lucy06
08-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry this is so late, but I haven't been on in a while. The trail used to go down the creek, but they moved it to run over the top. I haven't been over it since before the day fire, it was still closed last time I tried. We once got a deer about 100 yards out of Sunset camp, and again in the gorge about a half mile upstream. If you want to talk about the area, PM me your number and a good time and I'll call. Don't post it on the open forum.

I sent you a PM. Also, did you notice that yet again I referred to it as D11 and not D13 even after you called me on it:confused:

Swanee
08-05-2011, 05:50 AM
PM replied

new2deisel
09-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Carli Suspension Test Drive Weekend!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/suspension-steering/217051-carli-suspension-test-drive-weekend.html)