PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting an 08, what should i know about?

Shaolin Crane
11-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Alright, ive been seeing alot of 2008 F Series in similar trim to the truck i have now and they are priced pretty well and i could probably pretty easily move to one if i could trade/sell my own truck. So here's my question.

Whats the "standard" for the 08's and up when it comes to problems etc. Similar to the UVC harnesses, and weak transmissions on the 99-03 trucks.

What are safe power levels to run with the DPF, how much power can the tranny hold up to? Are there any inherent problems with the 08's i should be aware of and prepared to fix if i get one? Will the livewire i have for my 2000 work with an 08?

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

POWERSTROKEMIKE
11-11-2010, 08:20 AM
wow last time i talked to you, you had two bad tires an instead of buying tires your lookin at a new truck :) i say go for it.. talk to Bobby..

Shaolin Crane
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Haha yeah well. I started to price out all the things i want/need to do to my truck, injectors, turbo, built tranny, tuning etc. And it started to make more sense to go with an 6.4. Hardest thing i can see is selling my old truck or getting a decent trade in on it. So im looking for the "goods" on the new trucks, best way to make power, what kinda things can go wrong with that power etc.

smotrs
11-12-2010, 09:09 AM
As long as all the TSB's have been taken care of. There's not much you need to worry about. These motors are very solid compared to the 6.0 in stock form and from reading allot of threads, can handle allot of abuse. International went through great pains to make these motors more robust so that they didn't have the problems associated with the 6.0's when users bolted on more HP.

Not sure about your Livewire. Most people opt for the DPF removal method of making more power. It's probably the quickest way to get to 500+ HP but also means your sacrificing emissions legality and warranty. One of the most emissions compliant options is the Banks system, still can void your warranty but is going to be CARB approved.

Shaolin Crane
11-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I dont care about emissions, anyone who has seen my stang can attest to that ;)
Im excited, going to here from financing today and hopefully have it sometime next week.

smotrs
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I only mention it because since the new Diesel laws, I've actually been through two roadside emissions checks. The first was here locally in City of Industry, the second was up north by Paso Robles/San Luis Obispo area. The fine for removal of the DPF and/or CAT is $10K if caught.

Shaolin Crane
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
You do know that they are all subjective right? 100% optional, and not required. So no matter what they tell you, tell them to **** off and keep going.

knox
01-05-2011, 09:14 PM
what r tsb's

bigrpowr
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
what r tsb's

the only one i ever knew about was radiator venturi, that was fixed before i ever picked mine up, but bobby at sunrise had to show me it had been done.

desertwheeler
01-06-2011, 01:28 AM
You do know that they are all subjective right? 100% optional, and not required. So no matter what they tell you, tell them to **** off and keep going.

Where did you find that info that says they are voluntary?

Shaolin Crane
01-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Right on the BARR's website
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/Roadside%20Emissions%20Survey%20Information%20Shee t%20-%20Fina%208_10_2010l.pdf

Shaolin Crane
01-06-2011, 01:47 AM
what r tsb's
Technical Service Bulletins

the only one i ever knew about was radiator venturi, that was fixed before i ever picked mine up, but bobby at sunrise had to show me it had been done.
I think he was asking what the acronym was for.

knox
01-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Technical Service Bulletins

I think he was asking what the acronym was for.
bingo!!! but the more info the better.thinking of buying one sooo

DesertRider
02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
If you get a F450 I don't think you have to get "smogged" since it's over the weight limit. I haven't had to do it yet.

Shaolin Crane
02-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Thats awesome, but notice my avatar, i already got one ;)
Besides, "technically" the 450 needs to be scaled