PDA

View Full Version : Cool down timer on 2011 SD Diesel

scottz
10-15-2010, 10:58 PM
It seems kind of strange the way this thing works. When you stop the truck, the timer starts and shuts the engine down after 15 minutes (park brake off) or 5 minutes (park brake on). However, if you turn the key off it shuts down right away. What's the point of the timer if I have to sit in the truck or leave the keys?

Thumperer
10-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Kind of guessing but I think it is related to emissions. They (carb, aqmd, whoever) don't want diesels to have extended idling time. Our new heavy duty trucks at work come with this feature and will shut the truck off if it's idling for a period of time. Kind of sucks in the summer when your on lunch break and trying to get cool in the truck. I'm not sure if they did this with the light duty trucks, but it sounds like it in your case. Again, just guessing.

scottz
10-17-2010, 06:25 PM
It was an option I paid for. I thought it was going to be like the aftermarket "cool down timer" I have on my 2000. Set the time, take the keys, lock the truck up and leave. Not with the Ford version. Your right, you can't leave the truck running more than 15 minutes; going to have to figure a way to disable it.

scottz
11-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Good news; the guys at Ford connected with their computer and dissabled it.