PDA

View Full Version : serpentine belt resolution

BFT
04-02-2010, 07:32 PM
took truck in to simi valley ford and wasnt pleased with the tech there! truck was there about a week or so ago for some belt noises and some rattling. they fixed it with a new alternator and serpentine belt, i was also about 600 miles passed the warranty stuff.

needless to say, i wont be taking it there to get work done and will be doing it on my own or it will be going to sunrise ford!

i would like to resolve this issue on my own, because i love my truck...this is whats going on, its been a week and i havent even put 500 miles on it and the belt is being fraid AGAIN and the belt noise came back. any help would be GREATLY appreciated

thanks in advance
robert

JetskiMark
04-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I would first check that the belt is tight enough. The tensioner pulley spring might be weak.

I would then take the belt off and make sure all the pulleys and accessories spin freely. It might be the idler pulley bearings going bad. These have been known to seize up and fry the belt.

orng1
04-03-2010, 11:01 AM
It might be as simple as it wasn't installed properly to the pulley is warped or damaged.

BFT
04-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I would first check that the belt is tight enough. The tensioner pulley spring might be weak.

I would then take the belt off and make sure all the pulleys and accessories spin freely. It might be the idler pulley bearings going bad. These have been known to seize up and fry the belt.

It might be as simple as it wasn't installed properly to the pulley is warped or damaged.

The belt seems tight and there is no slop or slack when on... I did notice a slight wobble off of the pulley on the upper alternator and also the pulley off the crank but the noise comes from the alternator pulley.

The alternator was replaced and so was the belt... From what the paper says!

orng1
04-03-2010, 12:15 PM
If there is a wobble on the pulley that is where you are damaging your belt. It should be solid. It's easy to damage the pulleys when you swap them over, I know I've done it . :(

BFT
04-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm hoping it's the tensioner and that the belt is giving the illusion of a wobbly crank pully? The tensioner jumps around quite a bit, but the bracket holding the tensioner seems to be solid.
They replaced the alternator not just the pully. My truck has nearly 40000 and this just happend within the last couple hundred miles.

BFT
04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHSYh_qgAO8&feature=channel

here is the video and sound of the chirping that i am getting. the crank pully is fine it was just my eyes were playing tricks on me.
sorry for the clarity. i am thinking more that it is the tensioner like you guys have said

BFT
04-04-2010, 10:34 PM
bump...

desertwheeler
04-04-2010, 10:48 PM
idk if these trucks have an idler somewhere that could go bad but my guess is bad bearing in tensioner

BFT
04-04-2010, 10:52 PM
they have to idlers from a diagram that was showed to me but i do think its a bad tensioner

edit-2 idlers

JetskiMark
04-05-2010, 05:04 AM
I used to have a beater that had a squeaky idler pulley. I would spray WD40 in the bearings and it would be quiet for a couple of weeks. I also did this on an alternator, a tensioner and an AC compressor clutch before.

(I have had many beaters over the years. Crappy cars are fun to abuse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qutNXR8lvSA)

This is definitely not a fix, but on a cheap vehicle that I did not want to put money into, it worked.

My point is this; I would try it as a diagnostic procedure. With the engine off, spray both sides of the idler pulley bearings. Try not to get any on the belt. Start it and see if the problem was that pulley. If not, do one component at a time until you find the problem.

BFT
04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt274/907dave9/untitled.jpg

that is the diagram shown to me. icant say its a recall because it doesnt get that cold out here and there is no chirp when starting the truck. it happens within 10 to 20 seconds of starting the truck.
the more i think about it, the more i am thinking its a bad idler pulley?

desertwheeler
04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Try pulling the belt and physically turning the idlers and tensioner by hand.

BFT
04-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Took the truck into the dealer, which I didn't wanna do, told them that nothing was fixed the first time and that he left the plug that runs to the fan, off.
I can say this much, I am NOT paying for a new alternator and belt or his time... That was done the first time

BFT
04-06-2010, 05:51 PM
little update...
apparently the nut keeps coming loose on the truck and they dont know why. they are waiting for word from ford out in detroit, to know what the cause is and how to fix it?

6x6powerstroke
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Robert, I had a few proplems with my truck and I had to take to a dealer. Like you, South Bay Ford did me wrong! So, I took it to Carlos at Sunrise Ford (on the advice of a socaps member) out in fontana. He is taking great care of me there and got Ford to cover most of the proplems I had and the work shop looks like they deal with lot's of PSD. I know it is a long haul but worth it. I guess dealers in the 310, 818 area can't deal with our trucks. Just a back up plan if you need another dealer to look at it.

BFT
04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
ive handed the keys over to carlos before once, and seemed like a good knowledgeable guy! sunrise is where i wanted to go but just no ride to get back home and my week has been CRAZY!!! my local ford dealer was by default because they are just down the street. this is the first time ive had a problem with them, mainly the tech overlooking what was plugged, and just got to me the fact they have that inspection and that was one of the things overlooked.

thank you for your concern and look out!

2005F250
04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
little update...
apparently the nut keeps coming loose on the truck and they dont know why. they are waiting for word from ford out in detroit, to know what the cause is and how to fix it?

Red lock tite?

BFT
04-07-2010, 10:18 AM
if its as easy as that...then why not. something is creating the wheel to bind and like said before the tensioner or idler pulley might be misaligned, even due to the belt fraying.

K5Cruiser
04-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Loctite is exactly what came to my mind at first.

BFT if you need a ride home from Sunrise Fontana, there's always the Metrolink that you can take home. I took it from the El Monte station to Sunrise, and Carlos had one of his people pick me up in the Sunrise van. It worked out great.

BFT
04-08-2010, 09:14 PM
got the truck back from the dealer... the idler pulley was the culperate and was difficult to tell.
new alternator, new idler pulley, new tensioner pulley and new serpentine belt. hopefully this is done and it seems like the dealer might have had some fun in my truck and got it running a bit hot, puked out of the degas bottle!!!

2005F250
04-08-2010, 10:10 PM
I'de clean the puke and see if it comes back. That could have been planted just to get some "work" into the shop.

BFT
04-08-2010, 10:33 PM
i cleaned it up and got on it pretty good through all the gears and no puke...and i know it puked cuz its all over the front shocks and some on the rear wheel, haha!
i had to still clear the codes that were on the truck...there were about 5 from all the stuff unplugged.