PDA

View Full Version : cackle and whatnot that happens on 7.3 superduties

mike100
07-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Ok, so I have this new set of AD coded 7.3 late model superduty injectors and one of them is coded AE. was this supposed to go in one of the rear most cylinders to minimze cackle. I have a feeling it is the same as the others since mine were rebuilt and the guy didn't mention it. The early trucks have a different fuel regulation system, but I figured I'd pop it in the right hole if I knew which it was. almost running... maybe by Sunday.

IDK
07-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Some of the late models have a long leed injector in the #8 cyl. http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/usa.gif Roger

mike100
07-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Ok thanks, I just found that out and looked up which one was #8. what is the difference? I think I have 8 identical injectors with one having the AE top cover, but I'll stick it in cyl. 8 anyhow. Old trucks don't have cackle anyway (i hope).

IDK
07-12-2004, 12:45 PM
I've put a different fuel system and a few other mods on my wagon the engine didn't get rid of the cacle and I picked up a very loud knocking noise ( sound like a rod knock its intermittent) I've been told that a non dead heading fuel system can cause this with the long lead injector . I haven't repaced it because I want to put BIGGER injectors ! http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/usa.gif Roger

Big Red PSD CC
07-12-2004, 03:33 PM
If the injectors have been "re-worked", it depends on what they did. Was it just the nozzles, or the insides, or both?

The long lead means that the 1st shot of fuel is longer than a "standard" AD injector.

mike100
07-12-2004, 04:36 PM
I have a full compliment of AD cores with one of them that has and AE marked solenoid. Seems to cackle sometimes... my AB's didn't do that.. I don't care, I don't think the AE helped everybody anyhow. Runs with no smoke, perfect idle again, but the torque has been neutered some. A hotter split shot program ought to get a little more since these injectors are bigger than original, but i'm not expecting too much, this truck will probably be just relegated to work status. Maybe I'll buy an IDM for it and maybe a try a couple of reprograms on my extra chip to pep it off idle some.