PDA

View Full Version : Xmonitor digital gauges

bobsquatch
07-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Does anyone have the Xmonitor gauge pod in their 7.3 PSD. I need gauges and am considering them so I would love some feedback.

JonH
07-10-2004, 06:16 PM
I have it and I like it very much and would buy it again. Having the one unit down low seemed like it would be a cleaner install. I forget who I bought it from but for less than $10, they painted it to match my interior. The bad thing about it is when the sun shines on it you hardly see anything. It takes a hard look to check any numbers. But that is my only complaint. The installation wasn't too hard and the worst part was drilling into the exhaust manifold and tapping it for the pyro. That manifold is just soft iron and it turned out to be quite easy.
Hope this helps, Jon

bobsquatch
07-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks John. I am considering it and the six gun. I wish the edge attitude worked with the 7.3 liter. Where does the xmonitor get it's boost and tranny temp info from? Factory senders?

JonH
07-14-2004, 07:49 AM
I'm going by memory now, so it's been a while.... The boost is taken from plumbing right on top of the engine, forward of the turbo and behind the fuel filter. There's a little plastic line that you cut into and install a "T" fitting. Everything you need comes with the monitor. The trans temp comes from under the dash/steering wheel. I think that you steal a signal that's going to the trans temp gauge, on its way to the computer, or something like that. The three inputs ( you have to install the pyro too ) go to a little black box that you install under the dash, then they travel to the display. So the display only has a little wire going to it and that's all. Anyway, it's not hard to install.

One thing that did happen to mine: I suddenly started hearing a very loud suckiing sound coming from under the dash, loud enough to overpower the radio. After poking around some, I found that the boost line going to the black box was about 1/2 off. My boost still worked but I had that loud noise. This wasn't the fault of the X-Monitor, it was me being rough on things when I installed my turn-signal mirrors. The line just pushes onto the box and I just re-pushed it. No more noise.

Hope ths helps, Jon

superdutytd
07-20-2004, 08:00 PM
I'm hoping to have mine soon.