PDA

View Full Version : 08 6.4 questions

sanddawg
12-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi there. I'm new to the forum and have a couple questions regarding my truck. It's a 2008 F-450 which I bought new in March. It has just over 5000 miles, most of them towing a 5th wheel. This is my first Ford ever. My previous truck was a 2002 Chevy with the Duramax.

My questions are:
When the truck starts cleaning the DPF (the info center says it's cleaning anyway) I can feel a noticable difference in power. What's odd though is that it feels more powerful when it's cleaning the filter. I figured it would lose power. I mainly use my truck to tow my 5th wheel so I notice the power change. I can usually tell when it starts cleaning the filter by the change in exhaust tone and the engine feels, for lack of better terms, "freer." I don't have to use as much gas pedal and the boost gauge shows lower boost pressure when in the cleaning mode. Is this normal? I actually prefer the cleaning mode because it feels more powerful.

The next question is regarding the boost gauge. After reading the owners manual it says not to run the engine so the boost gauge is at the high end of the gauge for extended periods of time. That's all it says. It doesn't say what is the top end and what is an extended period of time. Travelling to the dunes and to Las Vegas from SoCal there are some hills that put the boost guage just past 30 psi and they are long hills. How high is too high and how long is "extended period" of time? I don't want to damage the engine by running it too hard. The hill outside of Baker, CA heading to Vegas is 15 miles long and puts the gauge between 30 and 40 PSI. Is this going to hurt the enging or turbos?

My last question is regarding an EGT gauge. I would like to add an EGT gauge but I don't want to do any other mods or add any programmers. I think by adding an EGT gauge it would help me not worry about my second question I asked because then I could just watch the EGT's. Does anyone on here recommend a good EGT gauge and a shop in SoCal to install it?

Sorry for the long post. Going from the Chevy to the Ford has taken a little getting used to. Both are great trucks but completely different trucks.

I also wanted to thank Bobby Williams for giving me a great deal on the
F-450 and making the buying experience an easy one. Sunrise Ford is a top notch dealership and I don't mind making the 95 mile trip each way for service.

Thanks,
Shawn

BFT
12-06-2009, 09:45 AM
the only power ive noticed is on acceleration, but as far as freeway driving i notice a loss. im pretty sure the dpf's are all pretty much the same on the newer vehicles, being that when in regen more fuel is put through which will bump your egt's to around 1100 to 1200, without towing. but now i dont have to worry about that since its all gone:D!

the quote about the turbo goes for any turbo. im sure youve seen pics or videos of glowing red turbo turbo housings or downpipes?

as far as the egt gauge goes hopefully someone will chime in and lead you in the right direction, i monitor mine through a tuner screen i have along with hundreds of other options!

congratulations on your new buy!

06powerstroke
12-06-2009, 09:39 PM
You think you prefer regen mode until you see how bad your mileage gets when your in it:D As for boost, that is probably normal. An EGT gauge would be very good to get especially if you tow alot. It's not to hard to install, just need to drill and tap the manifold. As for boost I would say you are OK at 30psi for a little while. If you got an EGT gauge you would feel alot safer at 30 though...

desertwheeler
12-06-2009, 10:24 PM
You can get something like the Edge insight and just plug it in and read alot more than EGT's. And yes i too have noticed more spunk on take off when it is cleaning. But not while going down the road.

mattymx
12-07-2009, 09:23 AM
You think you prefer regen mode until you see how bad your mileage gets when your in it:D As for boost, that is probably normal. An EGT gauge would be very good to get especially if you tow alot. It's not to hard to install, just need to drill and tap the manifold. As for boost I would say you are OK at 30psi for a little while. If you got an EGT gauge you would feel alot safer at 30 though...

The 6.4 already has a few pyrometers installed. All one needs to do is get some sort of monitor like Brian mentioned to see the EGT's.

06powerstroke
12-07-2009, 10:30 AM
The 6.4 already has a few pyrometers installed. All one needs to do is get some sort of monitor like Brian mentioned to see the EGT's.
Oh, OK thats good to know for my dad's 6.4...

sanddawg
12-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. I appreciate it very much. I'm still learning alot with this truck even though I've had it for 9 months.
Trust me, I have seen the mileage tank when towing when it's in regen mode. I have not done the mileage manually but according to the onboard computer, I have seen the mileage average between 7.4 and 8.5 MPG while towing. I usually drive between 55 and 60 when towing.
I'll check into the Edge and see what the price comparison is vs. just installing an EGT gauge on it's own.

Thanks again.

06powerstroke
12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Does your truck have the 4.88 gears? That mileage is the exact same my dad gets with his 6.4 and 4.88's.

BFT
12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. I appreciate it very much. I'm still learning alot with this truck even though I've had it for 9 months.
Trust me, I have seen the mileage tank when towing when it's in regen mode. I have not done the mileage manually but according to the onboard computer, I have seen the mileage average between 7.4 and 8.5 MPG while towing. I usually drive between 55 and 60 when towing.
I'll check into the Edge and see what the price comparison is vs. just installing an EGT gauge on it's own.

Thanks again.

yeah, dont go by that. if you do though make sure to reset it after you fill up everytime for accurate readings.
i have 3.73's and get 15 or so on the streets and 20+ on the highway with no traffic.
i would think you have different gearing being that you're heavier.

sanddawg
12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Yes, it has the heavy duty tow package with the 4.88 gears. It's defenitely a towing beast.

DesertRider
12-18-2009, 09:37 PM
I have had an 08 450 for almost 2 years (12k miles), used almost exclusively for towing my 5th wheel toyhauler. It's a 4x4 with 4.30 gears and I have never seen 10MPG (hand calculated) even when not towing. When towing it's 7-8. Friends with an 08 F250 towing the same trailer get 12-15.

As far as regen and power, I feel a drop in power when in regen. It always seems to go into regen when I'm pulling a grade. I don't get more than about 25PSI boost when in regen.

Other than the MPGs, I love the truck. One feature I really like the the wide track steering. I can maneuver into a camping spot much easier than in my F250 could.

Desert_Dutchman
12-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Been having trouble with paper getting into your A/C?!?

DesertRider
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Never had that problem. I do have a problem of "dirt smell" getting into the vent system. I camp a lot in the desert and it smells like dirt whenever I turn on the AC for a long time after I go camping. Is there a cabin filter on these trucks??

sanddawg
12-26-2009, 04:25 PM
I haven't had any problems with paper getting into the A/C. I spent 10 days in Dumont over Thanksgiving. The truck was parked the whole time and covered in sand from the wind. I was afraid it was going to have that dirt smell or sand would blow into the cab. I was happy when neither of those things happened.

sanddawg
12-29-2009, 05:21 PM
So does anyone recommend a good EGT gauge and a good shop to have it installed? I don't want a tuner, I just want to be able to monitor the EGT's.

BFT
12-29-2009, 06:11 PM
So does anyone recommend a good EGT gauge and a good shop to have it installed? I don't want a tuner, I just want to be able to monitor the EGT's.

depends on your location, but bud from OC DIESEL SHOP should take care of you. they are in mission viejo... 949-297-8477

just to let you know...the egt's are going to be CRAZY high, haha! so dont be alarmed if you see it around 1700 when towing.

mattymx
12-29-2009, 07:51 PM

you will need one that plugs into the OBD2 port. Look at this one from one of our sponsors. Great gauge and it is a scanner as well.
http://terminatorengineering.com/scangauge/

06powerstroke
12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I just put a Dashdaq in my dad's truck, it is pricey but it monitor's everything, the scan gauge is a good alternative. He also has no tunes on it.

depends on your location, but bud from OC DIESEL SHOP should take care of you. they are in mission viejo... 949-297-8477

just to let you know...the egt's are going to be CRAZY high, haha! so dont be alarmed if you see it around 1700 when towing.
Actually my dad's has never passed 1200, assuming it's not in regen...

bigrpowr
12-29-2009, 11:38 PM

w/o a tune it will NEVER be anywhere close to that. ford designed it to never go over 1200* stock, at any load. and like was said, shouldnt ever go over that. the truck was built not to need an external egt gauge, and it doesnt.

BFT
12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
well maybe not that high but ive seen it go well over 1300 with the dpf on in regen.
the grade coming from oxnard is steep