PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a gasser

duramaxcrusher
06-28-2004, 07:27 PM
I was all set to tow my buddies 95 impala (6k w/ tools & trailer) to vegas for a national event. I wake up and let the truck warm up and it shuts off in the driveway, I knew I was low on fuel so I top it off, but still no go. I call AAA and have them drop it at the dealer, leaving me with no truck. I called and asked my Dad for his truck for the vegas run, he says no problem. The truck is a 2002 suburban with a 5.3L vortec. Boy oh boy did I ever miss my truck on this trip. Flat land was actually not to bad, better than I thought, on hills as long as I kept my pace I was OK, problem was I was cut off more than once on the hills and thats when life sucked. I had to slow down to 30 once and thats where it stayed the whole way up the hill, my foot was through the firewall and still no more than 30. Fuel milage was about 11, also better than expected. I had never towed with anything but a diesel before last week and I now understand the saying "theres nothing like a diesel to flatten hills."
I picked up my truck today and it was nothing more than a fuel pump fuse, guess I ran the tank dry and heated up the pump, I'll never do that again. Im kicking myself for not checking fuses on my own, oh well. $85 for an 80 cent fuse, live and learn.

RNUOVR3
07-06-2004, 01:04 PM
DOOOHHHH!

SoCalDavis
07-06-2004, 09:33 PM
hahaha....Dohhhhh....is the right word http://www.socaps.comimages/graemlins/rofl.gif

superdutytd
07-20-2004, 09:51 PM
I know what you mean about the 5.3 gasser. Not a towing engine. Not at all. They have to be in the high rpm to tow very well.