PDA

View Full Version : Towing without SwayBars?

Blanco
11-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I've been wanting to remove the SwayBars since I 1st took the rig off road & wonder will I regret it while Towing?

I dont tow with the rig very often & I am a Professional truck driver for a living, Teamsters Local 399.

So I do know how to handle a vehicle being its what I do for a living.

But thought I'd ask the opinions from you that have completely removed your swaybars & towed with it that way...

weweld
11-07-2009, 06:36 PM
I have never towed with a sway bar

SandShark
11-07-2009, 08:17 PM
I have never towed with a sway bar

if gene has never towed with one lol. well i think you just need to ask him some of his stories.

desertwheeler
11-07-2009, 11:22 PM
towed 10k worth of bobcat and trailer around no probs with my 97 no bars, i wouldnt worry about it.

mightywhity
11-08-2009, 09:26 AM
you shouldnt have problems i took my sway bar off and i tow with out it you have leaf springs you should be fine

K5Cruiser
11-08-2009, 11:44 AM
You should be fine towing without sway bars. It's the corners you may have to slow down a little more for.

Blanco
11-08-2009, 12:15 PM
You should be fine towing without sway bars. It's the corners you may have to slow down a little more for.

Well that was my point towing through the corners ( Mountains ) Obviously they do nothing while drive straight down the road.

mightywhity
11-08-2009, 06:01 PM
i dont have problems with corners and no sway bars

Blanco
11-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'll remove them tomorrow & throwing them in the dumpster.

Thats what I did with my Bronco & never regreted it.

desertwheeler
11-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Try selling them. Some people want them.....

Blanco
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Try selling them. Some people want them.....

I dont have the time to sit around waiting for people to come see them......
Unless one of you tell me you want them, then I'll save them.

Matteo
11-15-2009, 07:29 PM
would be interested in how it dose on the street i was thinking about removing mine also or making it into a quick disconnect

Blanco
11-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I finally took them off tonight & decided to save them, Just in case..
I wont be towing anything for a while that I can think of.

But I'll let you know, if I want them back on.

cbell386
11-16-2009, 04:15 PM
so i can take the sway bar off my early 99 and still tow?

Blanco
11-16-2009, 07:41 PM
so i can take the sway bar off my early 99 and still tow?

As far as my opinion goes..... I dont know.
I've not towed without them yet..
But I dont notice any difference in street/fwy driving.

cbell386
11-17-2009, 05:43 PM
does it matter if you are lifted? because people are telling me i will flip if i take them off... these people dont own trucks they own jeeps... so idk if what they are saying is accurate or not? any input??

Matteo
11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
does it matter if you are lifted? because people are telling me i will flip if i take them off... these people dont own trucks they own jeeps... so idk if what they are saying is accurate or not? any input??

for one donít listen to people who own jeeps. and tell them Barbie called and wants her jeep back lol . I took mine off and only notice a difference off road. so far I would have to say it drives the same on the street. these people who are telling you this are problem the same people I pass in my two wheel drive ranger going up blowsand at ocotillo wells and trust me it happens more than you think just my input

cbell386
11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
so i can take off the front and rear cuz my truck has the front and rear anti sway bars? and do i take off the brackets along with the horn shaped bars and the anti sway bars or just select things can come off?

Blanco
11-17-2009, 11:41 PM
so i can take off the front and rear cuz my truck has the front and rear anti sway bars? and do i take off the brackets along with the horn shaped bars and the anti sway bars or just select things can come off?

Mine seems to run fine without me noticing any difference.
& I must say..... That it was the same with my bronco.
I never noticed any difference.

K5Cruiser
11-18-2009, 03:45 AM
With a leaf sprung full-size Ford you won't notice much difference. The Jeep guys you're talking to are probably referring to their coil sprung TJs is my guess. You may notice a difference in turns (not curves, turns around 90deg. corners), but I doubt you're doing much corner carving right now anyway. Each vehicle will react differently to removal of sway bars, based on what kind of suspension it has and how heavy the vehicle is, along with other factors.

I've got a full size Blazer with coilovers at all 4 corners, and a sway bar at the rear only. The springs on the coilovers are very soft. When the sway bar is disconnected, the truck leans over in turns like it's ready to play dead. If I had stiffer springs this wouldn't be the case, but then again if I had stiffer springs I wouldn't have as much articulation off road as I have now.

cbell386
11-18-2009, 09:06 PM
so i can remove the front and rear anti sway bars, and still tow a toy hauler fine? because that is my main concern, of course i want better offroading and articulation, but i also use the truck to tow, thanks for all the help :)

freedomisntfree
11-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Good thread.... Im gonna take mine off..... It rubs on my hideaway gooseneck ball when its upside down and put some load on it. Brand new ball, and missing half the ball now from my 1500 mi trip with a load. :banghead: